Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MissingMasterDatabaseException when calling LogOn

MissingMasterDatabaseException when calling LogOn

I've written a WCF service which uses the ACT SDK to insert contacts into an ACT database in response to certain actions by its clients. The service runs in the .NET 3.5 runtime in IIS7 and works perfectly on my development machine.

I have now deployed it to our testing server, and it's failing to log on to the database, giving me instead a MissingMasterDatabaseException. I have carefully checked the PAD file and the database sharing for the database in question. On the server machine the ACT client is able to access the database via the same PAD file with no problems at all, so I'm a bit confused why the SDK can't manage it.

I'd appreciate any advice on avenues of exploration for figuring out what's going on here.

Nickel Contributor

Re: MissingMasterDatabaseException when calling LogOn

Without seeing the actual message, and based on your description, I wonder if it is a permission issue. Does the test server have permission to access the PAD file? More specifically, does the account on the test server running the WCF service have permission (e.g. NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE)?

I know my company's setup has those files in a publicly shared location on the host server for ACT, so the permissions are taken care of.
Silver Super Contributor

If they are using ACT! 2013 you will have to use .NET 4.0.

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Employee

I think Stan may be correct, if you're framework application is running against version 15, you'll either need to build your application on .Net 4.0 or add a line to the applications config file to redirect to the correct version.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

I should have mentioned, it's ACT 2010 which is why we're using .NET 3.5 for the service.

There isn't anything more to the message - it throws a MissingMasterDatabaseException. What I get back from it is:

Act.Framework.MissingMasterDatabaseException: Error in the application.
at Act.Framework.ActFramework.FailLogOn(Exception ex, TraceCategory tCat, TraceLevel tLevel)
at Act.Framework.ActFramework.LogOn(String userName, String password, String databaseType, String databaseHost, String databaseName, Boolean fireEvents, Boolean suppressTierCheck, Boolean suppressSchemaCheck, Boolean suppressLicenseCheck, Boolean allowTrialModeDeparture, LogonTrack tracklogon)
at Act.Framework.ActFramework.LogOn(String userName, String password, String databaseType, String databaseHost, String databaseName, Boolean fireEvents, LogonTrack tracklogon)
at Act.Framework.ActFramework.LogOn(String userName, String password, String databaseType, String databaseHost, String databaseName, LogonTrack tracklogon)
at Act.Framework.ActFramework.LogOn(String xmlPADFile, String userName, String password)

There aren't any inner exceptions.

As far as I can determine, the service process has access to the PAD file.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Matthew,

I'm sure you have already checked these next points, but for the sakes of thoroughness and to ensure we haven;t missed the basics; could you confirm the following:

1. SQL Server is installed and the SQL Service is running on the Test Server (mind you thsi would return an exception reporting the service is not running)

2. That the ADF has been attached to the dB manifest etc

The simplest way to check these points would be to confirm that ACT! has been installed on the server and that you are able to open up the ACT! dB on the server.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog

Yes, ACT is installed on the server and has no trouble accessing the database via the same PAD file.

Employee

The only other time I've seen this, the problem was he was referencing the wrong framework version. 

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Developer-s-Forum/MissingMasterDatabaseException-ACT-Framework/...

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator