Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Logon Trouble with Web Service using ActFramework

Copper Contributor

Logon Trouble with Web Service using ActFramework

[ Edited ]

I can't find any talk specifically about web services--which is at the heart of my project. Perhaps this will be a useful topic.

I'm using a standard development environment: Visual Studio Express 2013. I'm writing my service with C#/MVC. I'm running Act! for Web happily on IIS along with my web service. The environment seems solid except...

Act.Framework throws a TargetInvocationException (System.Reflection) on the ACTFM.Logon() method. Digging down, it looks like the first exception might be System.ArgumentNullException: 

+ [System.ArgumentNullException] {"Value cannot be null.\r\nParameter name: path1"} System.ArgumentNullException

Well, the parameters: Logon(path, username, password)  are definitely all good and readable by the debugger up to that point.  If this  error message wasn't so specific about a null parameter, I would be guessing that I just have a permission problem with the PAD file.

Also, when in debug mode using IIS express/localhost I don't have this problem. It shows up when talking to the web service in a "real world" way.

Help? Please??

Scotty T

Copper Contributor

Re: Logon Trouble with Web Service using ActFramework

More debugging. This might be the central problem. And it's a mystery to me. Help?!

Message "Resolution of the dependency failed, type = \"Act.Framework.Workflow.WorkflowManagerDB\", name = \"\". Exception message is: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.Framework.Workflow.WorkflowManagerDB, null]) failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3)" string

Copper Contributor

This is the innermost exception:

- InnerException null System.Exception
- Static members
- Non-Public members
_COMPlusExceptionCode -532462766 int
s_EDILock {object} object

The caller seems to be in: + Data {System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal} System.Collections.IDictionary {System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal}

I'm guessing that the s_EDILock object is null. Whenever I see something with lock in the name, I think about filesystem semaphores.

My web api as configured is definitely not happy letting the outside world work with my PAD file.  Pretty sure I need some heavy hitter at Swiftpage to pull me off this cliff.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Perhaps your IIS app in production needs to be given a Power User level permission to access the pad file. Alternatively you could try and logon to the SQL database by specifying server name, port and database name.

The other possible issue is the live environment does not have all the necessary dlls copied to the bin directory of the application.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Thanks gleo.

I'd like to find the source of this problem, so I don't want a workaround--yet to using the Act framework to access the DB. Also, I'm sure that the PAD file itself is being found and accessed. What happens after that is the problem

I've learned that my app will work perfectly reliably when served with IIS Express thru Visual Studio. It doesn't work at all (I've tried a bunch of settings) when served with IIS.

I think I  need a config file setting or a permission change or both. I'm really hoping someone here has seen this. There are too many possibilities and the core exception is deep in System software. Impossible for me to debug the call stack.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

What is the identity (user account) of the application pool your web service is running on in IIS (full)? It's possible that that particular user doesn't have permissions to the PAD file and other required files.

I would presume it works for VS and IIS Express because of using your credentials (most likely admin of some sort).

Edit: This is basically what Gleo was stating, now that I reread that post.

Copper Contributor

Well, maybe....

Bingo!

knif: Your question caused me to switch the app pool to "Act" which was there already since I'm serving my DB on the intertubes. I had created a new app pool for my API. When I switched it to Act, I was able to talk to my app through an external URL for the first time.

I don't know if it's all the way fixed, but something very good just changed. Thanks!!