Do you mean 

Log on takes too long

fgh

Log on takes too long

Hello,

I am trying to log into act premium for wev v17 database using the above code:

ActFramework ACTFM= new ActFramework();

ACTFM.Logon("path","user","pass");

The login process takes about 9 seconds-extremely slow. Is there any other method to call for login that can be faster?8 or 9 seconds are normal?

fgh

Re: Log on takes too long

[ Edited ]

I tried Logon with the Demo database and it takse around 7,5 seconds. That is a long time as well. Is that the normal logon process time?Or am i doing something wrong? The database and the project are in the same host-so there is no ip-communication delay added.

To prvide you with more info: I have a windows server 2012 with sql 2014 installed and Act-premium for web, Act installed a new instance of act7 , sql 2008 r2 instance-if I am not wrong (highly possible that I am wrong just Act poped up this message during installation). Could it be that my configuration is causing a problem?Specially sql server 2014?Should i have sql server installed or better not and let Act decide all about the sql server and instances?

Silver Super Contributor

I haven't timed it but I think that's pretty normal.  You could monitor what Act! is doing when you logon and see if you need to unblock some website addresses, etc.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
fgh

So i suppose the apfw website that comes with the act for web takes also 7,5 seconds to log in into a demodatabase and 10-20 seconds to logon to a database full fo data? Is there a work around for this ?What do you mean by unblocking website addresses?

Silver Super Contributor

When you log into an Act! database it has to verify that the user is allowed to log in.  It does this by using a service called Protexis which talks to the licensing website.  If the system you are on is preventing Protexis from checking in you will have some timing issues.  There are other websites that are accessed when Act! is launched.  I haven't tried to see what websites are accessed when you login from an app instead of from the Act! app.  The few seconds it takes to come up hasn't been that significant for any of the projects I've worked on and there have been quite a few.  Why does a 7.5 second delay cause concern for you?  Not criticizing just curious.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
fgh

Thank you for the info, really enlightening. 7,5 seconds is only for demo database-for my database is 10-12 seconds and that time for the web is really unacceptable. Is there any work arround to get to 2,3 seconds or I should give up trying?

Silver Super Contributor

You can open the database and leave it open.  The second person to connect should be able to connect more quickly.  What are you doing that 7.5 seconds is too long?  It seems like pretty much every web service I log into takes that long except web services that are specifically designed for fast responses to the initial connection.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
fgh

I am building a RESTful api on top of act. This connects to a website that must have immediate responses. In every request that is being sent from the website, the api must fetch data from the act database. Since the connection is lost after each request is processed, for every new request a new LogOn is required.

So if the LogOn takes 6-8 seconds to load that will mean that the webpage which is waiting for the data of the api (that connects to the act database) ALSO waits for 6-8 seconds at least to load. That means that in the scenario every request to the api takes 6-8 seconds to complete.

Is there a way to lower the timings in the process I have mentioned?
If not, do you propose a different architecture?

Thank you

Silver Super Contributor

Create a web service publisher and install it on the system hosting the Act! database.  Log into the Act! database with the web service publisher service and leave the connection open.  Then use your api to talk to your web service app.  You'll have an initial login of 6-8 seconds but subsequent requests to the web service should be dependent on how well the code was written and how good the hardware is.  You could get the response down to several milliseconds if you wanted.  You could eliminate the 6-8 second delay by prelaunching the web service publisher and leaving it running.  If you want help writing it I can help you out but my time would be billable.  Feel free to send me a private message or contact me by getting my email address from the website in my signature.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
fgh

thank you for replying. Within the same application two consecutive LogOn calls take approximately the same time (7-8 seconds) to load. That means that when the second logOn call is made, the connection is still open and yet it still takes 8 seconds to load again. In this context, I dont see how your solution would help bring down the timing of the logon. Am I mistaken?