Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking contacts to opportunity roles

Linking contacts to opportunity roles

Hi everyone

We are using Web hosted Act!

We want to be able to associate multiple contacts to an opportunity, and give each contact a specific role for THAT opportunity.

At the moment, roles etc. are linked directly to the contact, but in our world, the role exists at the opportunity, and contact assume that role.

This means a given contact can have lots of different roles, across different opportunities.

The easiest way we can think to do this would be to have the roles defined as fields on the opportunity (easy to do), but then force these to be a lookup of existing contacts. We need to force the lookup for data integrity reasons.

Theoretically it is easy enough, it's what databases are there for, but it is impossible to achieve through the normal interface. Yet it feels like a very small piece of coding.

I hope that makes sense, Any help would be appreciated.

Gillb.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Linking contacts to opportunity roles

Not able to help with the code but have you looked at Groups for linking the contact/s and Opps together? With the dynamic use of the Link to an opps field you can then add your contacts. Not ideal but might be a work round for what you are tying to do. 

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can create a roles association linkage using Impact Suite. To can create associations or roles when you have multiple contacts attached to a custom table or one of the top level entities such as Opportunities.

I creates a simple 5 minute video to do this from scratch:

Impact ACT Associate Contacts Video ( 5 mins)

Or follow these steps:

1) Download and Install Impact Suite v7

2) Create a ROLE table Help Topic to Create Tables

3) Add a character field named "Role" Mortgage Company Help Topic 'Add A New Field'

Add a drop down named Roles' with your desired roles to selected. For this demo I did a real estate transaction.

4) By default you will now find a ROLE tab on the 'Opportunity Details' view. Click on that tab then click on the NEW ROLL icon.

I designed a QUICK data entry form seen in blue below.

OppRealEstate.png

Impact ACT for the web.

Opportunity_ContactAssociationWeb.png

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Jim

Just for my own knowledge does Impact Suite work with the WEB version of ACT?

Bronze Super Contributor

Yes. Impact Suite custom tables works on the web.

See the second screen shot in the previous post.

-- Jim