Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Link to primary company/contact - Microsoft Access

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Link to primary company/contact - Microsoft Access

hey folks - so I think this probably is a classic question; ACT has all the lead contact info - - and once one becomes a customer - we would like to have our back office application (Microsoft Access) use the ACT contact info.... by this I mean primary Company Name, Address, Phone, Fax, Email - and if there is designated a primary individual - that person's name, phone, email (am not an ACT user so not sure if such a designation exists).

It's all in the same building.  So from Access - we could link to the appropriate ACT tables (or views).  

I say this question is classic - only in that it strikes me as a common need.  No one likes silos or duplicate entry and so if we can just link to this set of data - bingo.  

We aren't interested in the whole contact history or anything - once they are a customer the Primary fields are just what is needed for the back office stuff that has to be processed.  Am not sure whether we need to write updates from the back office into ACT should their contact info change.  If that is a consideration let me know if viable.

Have linked a lot of Access apps to SQL Server back ends - so primarily the question is as to which tables would represent these core fields that are sought?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author CahabaData
‎06-20-2018 04:12 AM
Administrator

Re: Link to primary company/contact - Microsoft Access

There is no such thing as a primary contact for a company in Act! - in fact a company doesn't have to have a contact at all. I'm afraid you'd need to determine that from your own data. It would be possible to create a field that you could use to flag a contact as 'main contact' though.

Records created directly in SQL won't autogenerate a new key - but you can create one using the NEWID() function - more info on that here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/functions/newid-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Administrator

Core contact data is stored in TBL_CONTACT - some other data is stored in other tables and referenced by the CONTACTID field though - eg, TBL_EMAIL for email addresses, TBL_ADDRESS for addresses and TBL_PHONE for phone numbers.

Writing data into Act! via SQL is completely viable - but it is 'unsupported' by Swiftpage, meaning if you break your database doing it - our tech support teams won't be able to help.
Highlighted

gracias Jon - one question - is there a 'primary' indicator/flag for what I would assume to be bunches of individuals associated with a company?? ...not sure such a thing exists or whether it is just all job title.

I can understand a write into the db is unsupportable - - I am wondering out loud if the back office app would ever write a brand new contact entry - while I think it might only be address changes....but if it were new - will the key field auto generate?  probably but would like to confirm that..... 

Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author CahabaData
‎06-20-2018 04:12 AM
Administrator

There is no such thing as a primary contact for a company in Act! - in fact a company doesn't have to have a contact at all. I'm afraid you'd need to determine that from your own data. It would be possible to create a field that you could use to flag a contact as 'main contact' though.

Records created directly in SQL won't autogenerate a new key - but you can create one using the NEWID() function - more info on that here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/functions/newid-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017
Highlighted

super helpful - thanks again.....