Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Just Starting

Just Starting

Hello

I'm just starting with the SDK.

I can't seem to logon to the DB.

ACTFM.LogOn("sa", "MYPASSWORD", "SQL", "sjc-sql02", "MYDATABASENAME");

This line keeps throwing a "FailLogon" exception.

I'm developing from my local box, but I have all of the SDK DLLs local. And I got the SA password utility so am using that produced password.

Help
Copper Contributor

Re: Just Starting

Hey John,

For the SDK you don't need the SA password.

You'll be logging into the ACT framework as an ACT user not as the SQL 'sa' - with that Users rights and permissions.

Try:

//Example 2
//This example logs the famous Chris Huffman into the ACT9Demo database using no password.

string xmlPADFile;
string userName;
string password;
xmlPADFile = "C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\ACT\\ACT for Windows 9\\Databases\\ACT9Demo.PAD";
userName   = "Chris Huffman";
password   = "";
ActFwk.LogOn(xmlPADFile, userName, password);

If you don't know what your ACT users are launch the ACT program as an Administrator or Manager and go to Tools > Manage Users > And the screen that comes up should tell you what users exist in your Database.

Carlton Jones
Sage Software

Ok. Thanks. That helps. However, the application in question will be automated importing of outside leads into ACT. What is the recommended practice for such a scenario? Create a new user to log in and accomplish this task?
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
In order to write to the database via the SDK someone will need to be 'logged in' to make the changes.

Which user you use for that purpose is up to you. Keep in mind that if you create a new user for that purpose you are 'using up' one of your licenses to activate that user.

Message Edited by Carlton_Jones on 03-13-2008 03:53 PM
Carlton Jones
Sage Software

[ Edited ]
Ok So I'm borrowing someones logon. Same error. ACTFM.LogOn("John Aram", "", "SQL", "sjc-sql02", "OURDBNAME"); His password is blank. Should I be doing something different with OURDBNAME or HOST? The DB server is on a remote machine.

Message Edited by JohnPettit on 03-13-2008 01:39 PM
Copper Elite Contributor

ACTFM.LogOn("X:\Act\ThePadFile.pad", John Aram", ""); where the first part is the path of the pad file of the database you are logging into
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the PAD files the client machine DB files.

I need to pump leads straight into the 'master' DB.

Thanks Carlton!

Got it working.

The fix:

I tried to copy the PAD file locally and got the same error.

When I moved the app (an exe) to the server and pathed to it's PAD file it connected fine.

Our guess is it was some network/permission issue. Therefore, I'm going to install ACT on my local box to insure it can connect, which should allow the SDK Framework to connect.

JP

And to complete the experiment...

Installing ACT locally allowed a successful connection from the local EXE to the remote pad file.

Thanks again Carlton.
Copper Contributor

Great News!
Carlton Jones
Sage Software