Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issue migrating ACT to server - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path1 (Protexis issue?)

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Issue migrating ACT to server - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path1 (Protexis issue?)

I'm in a bit of a bind....

I developed an application that is designed to synchronize users between the ACT system and an external database of users. Locally it functions well (albeit slow). However moving it to another server, I have faced numerous issues trying to get it to work. I will trace the steps I have taken to get to the point I'm at now.

1. initial issues was one of versioning. Apparently the dll's I was using (Act.Framework, etc) were 16.2... and the ones on the server were 16.1. So I tried switching the ones on the server with the latest ones (from my local server) to 16.2. This required me to rebuild the app and send it locally to remote again. This resolved the issue so now I am currently using the 16.2 dll's from my local server, on the remote server.

2. However, now when I try to access some basic act functionality, I get the returned error:

snip.PNG

This occures when I do this - 

ACTFM.LogOn((path), user, pass);

I have verified the path, user, and pass are all correct for the remote server...I just don't get it.

Could this be because I am using the dll's from my local install of ACT, instead of updating the ones on the remote server? If so, how would I update those properly? Could this be something else occuring. To be clear - this does not happen locally at all.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author 2gen
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Issue migrating ACT to server - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path1 (Protexis issue?)

Aha!

Looks like in IIS I created my own application pool. This didn't allow access to certain things. So I changed the application poop of the web app to the default "ACT" one that was created by the act application and sure enough it worked a charm.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Issue migrating ACT to server - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path1 (Protexis issue?)

I can't read the image but it looks like you don't have one of the parameters set.  Using the 16.2 dlls on the server is probably not a good idea either.  Use the 16.0 dlls on your system to create the program and it will use their 16.2 dlls when it runs.  You can get a copy of the 16.0 dlls from the original install media.  Just put them in a folder that you reference.  You don't need to install the older version on your system.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Super Contributor

To see the image just right click and click on "open image in new tab".

All three parameters must be set. It works locally, so shouldn't it work on the remote server (to be clear, they have a different set of parameters, but I've changed those to refelect the remote servers parameters. 

Also, pardon my poor explanation - it's the other way around, the remote server has the older versions, and my local has the newer

Silver Super Contributor

It looks like a licensing issue of some sort.  It is probably that the dlls you are using came from an Act! Premium version of 16 and you're running it on a machine that is using Act! for Web.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Super Contributor

I'm running Act Premium 17 locally, and you're rite...the remote server is using ACT Premium 17 for web.

How exactly do I resolve this? I tried building the app with the ACT Premium 17 for web dll's to no avail. Interestingly enough, the ACT Premium 17 for web dll's work on my local machine that is running ACT Premium 17 (not for web)...just not the other way around.

Solution
Accepted by topic author 2gen
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Aha!

Looks like in IIS I created my own application pool. This didn't allow access to certain things. So I changed the application poop of the web app to the default "ACT" one that was created by the act application and sure enough it worked a charm.

Thanks for the help!