Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to use ACT UI Lookups on a .NET form?

Is it possible to use ACT UI Lookups on a .NET form?

Just checking if it is possible to add the same ACT lookups with the EDIT option on a .NET plugin form.

Employee

Re: Is it possible to use ACT UI Lookups on a .NET form?

If by lookups you mean the list views for contacts etc. then yes, editable list views can be added to a form.

I believe whether the columns are editable is a property of the standard .Net datagrid.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Matthew,

I meant the popup lists that show customer names or some other field. They have an option at the bottom of the popup to Edit the list.

We can add them in the layout designer in Act, but I was wondering if we can add them to a .NET form, to give WinForms a more ACT look and feel.

Thanks,

Mike

Employee

I think I may still be unclear on what you mean.

Do you mean editable drop down lists?

In general, the answer will pretty much always be yes as the controls in the act application are derived from standard .Net controls.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Silver Super Contributor

Matthew,

I think what he's talking about is called inheriting from a class.

A simple analogy would be to use the standard Activity window that pops up when you press the Call button but instead set some parameters in the window that aren't normally set when you press the button.  He wants to create his own button so that it has his set of options but he wants to use the basic features provided with that window.  That is the real advantage of object oriented programming.  You don't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

The short answer is "maybe".  A lot of the classes are private or not inheritable but some of them can be inherited.  It's sort of a trial and error process.  Some of the classes are in routines that Sage does not guarantee that they won't change so you would need to use them at your own risk.  You could use a routine that they changed in the next service pack or hotfix and it could break your code.  I have done it in the past with some routines with some success though.  I haven't used the specific routine he is asking about so I can't say one way or the other if you can use it.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Employee

Thanks for the reply Stan.

I'm familiar with inheritence and the advantages of using it. I guess what I was driving at is whether there was a specific control that he wanted to use in his own windows form application. I'm not sure if the dropdownlists that Act uses are inheritable, but unless I'm grossly mistaken they inherit from the .Net combo box, which could be modified to allow a user to edit the items in the list.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator