Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

IIS Connection with Act! Database

Copper Contributor

IIS Connection with Act! Database

Hello,

I have built a wcf service that connects to the local act! database and when I check this website in visual studio it works fine with no problems when logging in.

But when I host this application on IIS 7.5 I get the following exception:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Act.Framework.ActFramework.FailLogOn(Exception ex, TraceCategory tCat, TraceLevel tLevel)
   at Act.Framework.ActFramework.LogOn(String userName, String password, String databaseType, String databaseHost, String databaseName, Boolean fireEvents, Boolean suppressTierCheck, Boolean suppressSchemaCheck, Boolean suppressLicenseCheck, Boolean allowTrialModeDeparture, LogonTrack tracklogon)
   at Act.Framework.ActFramework.LogOn(String userName, String password, String databaseType, String databaseHost, String databaseName, LogonTrack tracklogon)
   at Act.Framework.ActFramework.LogOn(String xmlPADFile, String userName, String password)
   at RestService.RestServiceImpl.CheckIfExists(UrlObject urlObject) in C:\Users\Panos\Desktop\act-service\RestService_\RestService_original\RestService_original\RestService\RestServiceImpl.svc.cs:line 165

I have set all permissions for the directory that contains the act database with full access to IUSR and IIS_IUSRS...

How do I resolve this error?

Thank you!

Evan

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: IIS Connection with Act! Database

You would need to have Act! installed on the IIS server so you can gain access to the Act! framework from your service.

Do you have Act! installed on your IIS server?

Copper Contributor

Thank you Allen,

Currently Act! is installed as a system application on this particular computer, and the IIS is also running on the same computer.
Do I need to install act on my IIS to do connect to the db? Because when I deploy the wcf service from visual studio it successfully connects to the act database without any problem.

Thanks again
Evan

I got mixed. Act is not installed on IIS during the installation. I can see in my sql configuration manager Act running. Do you need to set it up on SQL management studio as well or how can you connect it to the IIS?

Nickel Elite Contributor

If you are connecting to Act! via the framework from a web based service then the Act! Client needs to be installed on the same server as IIS, but generally speaking you do NOT want the SQL server running on that same box (web and database servers are generally deployed as separate servers).

If you have the Act! Client installed on the IIS server then you want to give the app pool impersonation credentials that can access the Act! folder.  I usually don't use IUSR, I setup a new user who has credentials that can both instantiate the Act! framework locally and negotiate the network connection to the SQL server.  

When everything is running locally (like on a dev box) you don't usually have to worry about much security, but in production/multi server environments you need to understand how each part of the connection is negotiating access and provide only the necessary permissions to get the job done.  

I'm a little confused by your recent posts - can you explain how you have your server deployment and config setup? I suspect this is a network/security issue that you are encountering.

Copper Contributor

Hello Allen,

please do let me know with every possible details the steps that are needed to do the following:

alduet wrote:

If you have the Act! Client installed on the IIS server then you want to give the app pool impersonation credentials that can access the Act! folder.  I usually don't use IUSR, I setup a new user who has credentials that can both instantiate the Act! framework locally and negotiate the network connection to the SQL server.  

Everything is running locally so we dont care about security.... We need the simplest solution that works...

Thank you in advance!