Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I create dropdown boxes like the "Contact Map" form in ACT!

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

How do I create dropdown boxes like the "Contact Map" form in ACT!

Hi:

I'd like to be able to create a form that has the same features as the "Contact Map" form for ACT! imports. Basically, I want to map an item in the first column with a selection of fields in a dropdown Combobox, just like the mapping function in ACT!

What is the best way to map individual fields in the first list column with user-selected values in the second list column?

Any code or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kimkamp22
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Re: How do I create dropdown boxes like the "Contact Map" form in ACT!

I like Viveks suggestion. I'm not certain there's necessarily a "best way" to accomplish this. Getting the list of fields is trivial:

ContactFieldDescriptor[] contactFields = ActApplication. ActFramework.Contact.GetContactFieldDescriptors();

But how you choose to present that to the user is very open ended. You could do as Vivek suggested and put them into a data grids or simply bind the collection to a combo box and have a second set for the information you plan on importing.

Frankly I think the field mapping would be the easier part of this task, the more difficult portion would likely be duplicate checking.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

The way I might approach this would be to have 2 DataGridViews one on the left and one on the right. You could populate the grid datasets with the relevent Entitiy's FieldDescriptor collection and in the properties of the datagridview specify the Colums to display.

The buttons are simple straight forward winforms buttons and you can bring in additional touches like adding in selection code to the doubleclick events on selected cells of each datagridview.

Maybe someone else might have some more ideas.

HTH

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Solution
Accepted by topic author kimkamp22
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

I like Viveks suggestion. I'm not certain there's necessarily a "best way" to accomplish this. Getting the list of fields is trivial:

ContactFieldDescriptor[] contactFields = ActApplication. ActFramework.Contact.GetContactFieldDescriptors();

But how you choose to present that to the user is very open ended. You could do as Vivek suggested and put them into a data grids or simply bind the collection to a combo box and have a second set for the information you plan on importing.

Frankly I think the field mapping would be the easier part of this task, the more difficult portion would likely be duplicate checking.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator