Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Google sync

Copper Contributor

Google sync

Will developers have any way to modify how Google Sync works?  For example, will a developer be able to create a service that runs to do a Google Sync via a windows service or task manager item rather than having to keep Act! open all day?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Google sync

A developer could already create their own service that does this... that's always been possible (I think CompanionLink has done that for some years)
Nickel Elite Contributor

Sage ACT! 2012 doesn't need to be open for Google sync to function.  The solution runs as a stand alone service from Sage ACT!.

In addition to the configuration options available in the UI you can also change the contact field mapping (requires XML editing), or setup the integration to use a proxy server (in case you're behind a firewall that restricts secure IMAP) by editing a configuration file.

Copper Contributor

Correct.  Act! doesn't have to be open, but a user does have to be logged on to windows so that the google sync program is open in the system tray.

If the sync were to run as a Windows Service on an every x amount of time basis, then in theory, you could have multiple Act! users able to sync using one computer (such as in the case of a terminal server). 

I'm sure someone will reply back that on a terminal server multiple users are logged in at the same time and the sync could still run that way.  I get that, but if people are ONLY staying logged into the server all day just so their Act! google sync can work, it's taking away system resources that other terminal server users could be using.   It's inefficient. 

Copper Super Contributor

Also Google Sync is limited to Gmail and has to use the @gmail.com address per new KB that showed up on ACT knowledge base. ACT 2012 does not work with Google Apps for some reason and I have a customer in a Terminal Server configuration and is frustrated about this. ACT.Outlook.Sync will not work on more than 1 user in this environment so client wanted to use Google but now limitation that will only work with Gmail account and not Google Apps account is very limiting. Guess that's what folks meant by partial integration with Google but sure would have been nice to know up front before wading into the abyss. Users are all using Android devices so choices are limited and they don't want to spend more on an add-on when it should work out off the box, Does Sage have a Terminal Server that it tests new releases against with multiple Windows Profile accounts? This should be part of the quality assurance process but forgive me if I am wrong or digress as I am facing unhappy customers.

PF

PF
Copper Contributor

That's interesting since I've tested it and it works with our domain name for Google Apps.  Can you reference the KB article you're talking about? 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Ok I see what you're saying.  The current solution leverages MS Sync Framework and is effectively a single tenant sync engine.  I understand what you're getting at with a consolidated/multi user sync process, but the existing service was not designed this way. 

Before I get someone to suggest that's the way we should have developed this to begin with...  developing a scalable multi tenant sync solution is not trivial, if you look at our Sync framework/code to just sync ACT! remote databases you'd recognize it takes years of development, and that's for a solution where we control both end points!  For the majority of ACT! customers having to deploy another server to sync with Google is not cost effective, and generally the current distributed sync model (single tenant) has several other benefits over a consolidated sync architecture though it has one big disadvantage - administration/maintenance.

We've considered consolidated sync options, and there is some plumbing introduced into he latest versions of Sage ACT! 2012 that help us accomplish this in the future if this becomes a viable solution for customer demands.  There are still some major outstanding issues especially for Google - e.g..  we use OAuth for Google access so it's unclear how you'd manage that user experience and delegate the sync to a different service.

As of now - you certainly can build your own consolidated sync solution, though I don't believe much of the existing sync solution would be of much use to you.

Copper Super Contributor

Also Google Sync is limited to Gmail and has to use the @gmail.com address per new KB that showed up on ACT knowledge base. ACT 2012 does not work with Google Apps for some reason and I have a customer in a Terminal Server configuration and is frustrated about this. ACT.Outlook.Sync will not work on more than 1 user in this environment so client wanted to use Google but now limitation that will only work with Gmail account and not Google Apps account is very limiting. Guess that's what folks meant by partial integration with Google but sure would have been nice to know up front before wading into the abyss. Users are all using Android devices so choices are limited and they don't want to spend more on an add-on when it should work out off the box, Does Sage have a Terminal Server that it tests new releases against with multiple Windows Profile accounts? This should be part of the quality assurance process but forgive me if I am wrong or digress as I am facing unhappy customers.

PF
Nickel Elite Contributor

Pete could you point me to that KB article.  That is an incorrect article.  

We integrate to Google Mail's API.  That means the solution works with custom domains, business apps, etc... we don't limit to the gmail.com domain (in fact I only use my Google Business Account + custom domain).  If you've had problems related tot eh configuration/setup on terminal server that might be a separate issue, but custom domain settings shouldn't give you any issues.

Copper Contributor

I actually found it pretty quickly and left feedback stating it was incorrect before you posted your last response.  It's Answer ID 28206