Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting ACT! contact from Excel VBA

Getting ACT! contact from Excel VBA

I'm sure this has been answered 100 times, but I cannot find it easily in documentation.  I am working in EXCEL VBA and simply want to connect to ACT 2011 to find the current contact and get basic information (name, address, etc) about that contact.  How can I do this?

Not just accessing the OLEDB database, because I do need to know the contact the user is currently showing in the UI.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Getting ACT! contact from Excel VBA

Pretty sure you can't do that from VBA ... you need to use the .Net Framework and the SDK

That's a shame, because older versions of ACT could do it, and now my client is stuck.  I did see mention of the OLEDB provider and connecting to the framework.  Would that do it?  Or is my only possiblity to connect to the database (and there is so much banter back and forth on the correct format of that connection string - is it documented cleanly somewhere) and then list all the contacts so the user has to [re-] select the active client so I can get the relevant contact information?

Employee

The provider could deliver reporting data, but wouldn't be able to tell you things in the context of the application, such as the current contact. The only avenue to that sort of information is via the SDK and developing a plugin.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Thinking that I'm not the first needing this, is there a 'store' I can go to to look up solutions that have already been done?
Employee

All of our add-on products can be found in our store. If you don't find something that meets your needs there are some folks here who do custom applicationd development.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

What is the actual functionality you're looking for?

Maybe I could recommend something more specific

At a minimum:

I have a Excel VBA application that generates quotes  It needs to go out to ACT! to get the current contact's basic information (name, address, phone, and email) so it can place it on the quote.

In older versions of ACT I alo placed the generated excel workbook on the linked documents tab and created a history entry for the quote.  Those aren't essential, tho the linked document is very helpful.

Mike,

Many thanks,

Solution 1 does not cut it - too many manual steps that mu customer's employees will do wrong and will interfere with all the automation I've already cut it

Solution 2 is an old time competitior (10 years ago I was in the quoting business; this current customer has used my product with ACT for 12 years and is now moving away from the older versions)

Looks like I'll have to find someone to write the interface that I will need - basically just emulating good old fashion DDE or simple OLE Automation from the old days.  When things were simpler...