Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Get list of Contacts by (custom) field value, through .NET

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Get list of Contacts by (custom) field value, through .NET

Vivek... OLEDB is readonly thou right?? if it is read only then this would not help this person as they want to update fields, not just get a list of data
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hiya Ozzie,

Yeah the OLEDB is read only, however if you are dealing with a ContactList of say 20,000 contacts I've found that its quicker to get a Dataset of Contacts via the OLEDB and then get the Contact Object via the Framework based on the Contact GUID for Write operations.

With regards to the OLEDB 1.0, yeah the Activities were not exposed but the Contact_History and Company_Histories are and its just a case of carrying out the relevant Joins.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I'm writing an App that will work with the Contacts who have a particular Field containing data, do the functions with that Contact, then replace that particular Field with a null value. The App will continue to do that until all Contacts have been processed, then will close.

I haven't written a Plugin yet, and am wondering if a Plugin can actually run as an App (i.e. multiple functions and routines) while a Plugin.

Is it better to write a Plugin so that I don't have to log into ACT! (and take the time to do that) or is it better to write a standalone App that logs in to ACT!?

Kim

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hiya Kim,

Hmmm, that's more of a design question really. Generally as a rule of thumb I would say if you are looking to write code that responds to User actions then Plugins are the way to go, otherwise if you are looking at batch operations independent of User action then a stand alone app would make more sense. 

An example of this might be if you wanted your code to run when a User is accessing the ACT! system in a particular view or wanted to grab the CurrentMutableEntityList or whatever it would make more sense to write a Plugin. 

However, if you wanted your code to run and carry out a bacth operation like update all Contact-Company linked fields nightly then a free standing app would be a better way of proceeding.

HTH

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog