Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Get custom entity field value

Get custom entity field value

Hi,

I think I have a simple question. How do I get a value from a custom entity?

I have a list:

CustomEntityList

<Ticket> tickets = manager.GetCustomEntities(newSortCriteria[] {newSortCriteria(manager.GetCustomEntityFieldDescriptor("TICKET_NUMBER", Act.Framework.MutableEntities.FieldNameType.Alias),ListSortDirection.Descending)});

I would like to know what the TICKET_NUMBER is for the first record returned.

tickets[0] will give me an entity, but how do I read the data in the TICKET_NUMBER field?

Thanks,

Mike

Employee

Re: Get custom entity field value

Hello Mike,

Once you have the CustomSubEntityManager you should be able to retrieve a field descriptor from it using it's GetFieldDescriptor method, this will return a DBFieldDescriptor and you can then use it's GetValue method.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Hi Matthew,

I keep getting an invalid name format error.

Should I be using GetFieldDescriptor or GetCustomFirledDescriptor.

It looks like I already do that in my first code snippet.

Also, for GetValue(), what object do I pass in?

Thanks,

Mike

Employee

Invalid name format usually indicates the column name is incorrect, your probably using the alias and passing it as a the realName, this is something I often mess up on as well. I usually get the right column name one of two ways, either running the field detail report in the diag, or getting a collection of all the fields first, debugging and looking into the contents of the collection to ensure I'm using the correct column name.

I now noticed that you'd already done that, apologies, the way it code pastes in here sometimes makes it hard to read, and I missed it.

As for the object to pass in GetValue, if it's a subentity of contacts I think you could pass in the contact record specific to this ticket record.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

This post helped me with a similar issue.