Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error: "vshost.exe has stopped working"

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Error: "vshost.exe has stopped working"

[ Edited ]

OK, after picking through a zillion bits of information trying to enable a VB application to talk to ACT! Premium I got where I think I need to be and then encountered the error above.  I am going to describe what I did in configuring the machine, show the code (not much), and then list details of the error.

I have a Windows Server 2008 developer box with ACT Premium, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2005 Express (installed with ACT), and Visual Studio 2008 installed.

I started a simple Windows Form project in VS using VB.Net and added a reference to Act.Framework.DLL.  This reference finally let VB see the act-related properties and methods.

I have the code listed below:

Imports Act.Framework

Public
Class Form1

Dim ActFwk As New Act.Framework.ActFramework

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

ActFwk.LogOn("C:\Users\Public\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Databases\ACT2010Demo.pad")

MessageBox.Show("It worked so far")

End Sub

End Class

Upon running the form I receive a message "vshost.exe has stopped working".  The View Problem Details information follows:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: ACTTest20100525.vshost.exe

Application Version: 9.0.30729.1

Application Timestamp: 488f1c9b

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdfe0

Exception Code: c000041d

Exception Offset: 000000000000aa7d

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.274.10

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 6326

Additional Information 2: 632660d89603400007a6ab26f81d9506

Additional Information 3: 490d

Additional Information 4: 490d130a3d3a9a2a1bd39d605ad1420c

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here.  I cannot express the level of frustration I am feeling for how difficult it is to put together all of the pieces to make this task work.  Sage advertises this external communication capability as a feature of the program and my client relied on this capability when making their (very recent) purchase decision.  But I cannot find a comprehensive guide as to how to perform the simple task of implementing the capability to communicate between .Net and ACT!  I've only gotten as far as I have by cobbing together pieces of information from all over the map.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  

Larry 

Edit: You will see that I reference a .PAD file in my login based on a code sample I found in either the forums or the SDK documentation.  I can go directly to this file in Windows Explorer and double-click it and ACT starts.

Message Edited by lwestatbus on 05-27-2010 07:39 AM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author lwestatbus
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Re: Error: "vshost.exe has stopped working"

Did some fishing around on that particular error message and found a link that might be useful

http://aeshen.com/wordpress/2010/02/vshost-exe-has-stopped-working/ 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

As a quick review of your code - Logon takes 3 arguments: PAD file location, ACT! username, ACT! Username Password

Can you add those arguments to your code and try again? 

something like: 

ActFwk.LogOn("C:\Users\Public\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Databases\ACT2010Demo.pad", "Chris Huffman", "") 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Also - don't forget to call logoff after your message box - leaving open handles could cause multiple runs of your code to error.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I first tried the login string with three arguments exactly as you indicated in your first response using Chris Huffman with a blank password as the login to the sample DB.

Edit: Also, the form never finishes loading and the message box never displays.  This isn't a typical .Net error message that occurs in debugging mode with the highlighted line causing the error. 

Message Edited by lwestatbus on 05-27-2010 09:49 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Just to confirm - you have ACT! installed on the machine you are attmpting to run your debug from right?
Copper Contributor

Correct.  Everything is running on one box, Windows Server 2008.  I can start ACT directly from a desktop shortcut and also by double-clicking the pad file down in the My Documents folder.  I have Visual Studio also installed on this machine and the little test project is being run in debug mode also on this machine.
Solution
Accepted by topic author lwestatbus
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Did some fishing around on that particular error message and found a link that might be useful

http://aeshen.com/wordpress/2010/02/vshost-exe-has-stopped-working/ 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Thanks.  This did the trick.  Had to wrestle a little with Visual Studio as I didn't have the toolbar option to set the processor target that the poster in the link had.