Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Documents tab - refreshing issue

Copper Contributor

Documents tab - refreshing issue

I've called Sage ACT support about this issue now 5-10 times and have not been able to get any kind of positive response other than, "Yep, that's an issue."

The documents tab in the current version of ACT (Version 13.1.111.0, Hotfix 1) is COMPLETELY unreliable. Changing layouts makes the documents disappear, or show documents from incorrect contacts. And shuffling through contacts in a contact list makes it so that the documents from one contact stick to all the others. Clicking refresh doesn't take care of the issue (does this mean that the refresh button doesn't work? Another issue entirely). The only way to actually get it to load with any consistency is to re-lookup the contact you are on.

The support person I talked to was able to replicate the problem. We have also run database maintenance, and detached and reattached the database, so it is clearly a problem with the coding, rather than with our  database. The first time I talked to someone he recommended changing layouts immediately after signing in, and then changing back. This didn't help. For the issue of looking up contacts with a contact list....he just said, "don't use the contact list." Cool feature!

Please, someone, make this thing actually work correctly. Despite having a "Gold Care plan" no one seems to care or be able to provide care. The issue has been outstanding for weeks and has not been fixed. We just upgraded from ACT2007, and the experience has kind of been like banging your head against the wall over and over again.

Copper Contributor

Re: Documents tab - refreshing issue

Anyone?

I was told that this was the best way to get through to the developers. Is that not the case? We NEED this to work. Especially after having paid $3,000+ for it...

Employee

I understand your frustration and assure you that we are working towards a resolution for this issue but at this time I do not have an estimated time to for this to be fixed.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Hi Matthew,

That would be a perfectly acceptable answer were there no so many other concurrent problems with the current version of ACT. This is basic functionality we are talking about. Not only has this issue been outstanding for weeks now, I personally spent over 3 hours on the phone TODAY with Sage support for a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT issue. That issue is also outstanding as, eventually, the support person told me that they had done all they could today and would have someone call me back in 2-3 days. We have employees who cannot do their jobs because ACT will not do what it is programmed to do, not to mention the fact that I cannot do my own job because I have to devote so much of my time to policing this issue. And we do not have 2-3 days to wait every time it fails to function.

On top of the issue mentioned above, which is outstanding, and the issue I just finished a 2+ hour conversation about (the second call to support today, totally more than 3 hours) which is also outstanding, ACT crashes regularly (10+ times on one single user's computer TODAY), often fails to load layouts correctly, and, all in all, acts like a slower, broken version of a previous version.

These baseline issues should have been dealt with before it was deemed suitable for a pricetag of thousands of dollars. Even if your estimated time for this to be fixed was last week, it still would be long overdue. I would appreciate something concrete.

Copper Contributor

And now another week has gone by without this being fixed. Any update?

Employee

Because this issue can be avoided by not changing your layout while working in the database I don't anticipate a fix for this to be included in an upcoming hotfix. As mentioned previously there's an open ticket for this issue and has been placed in  queue to be resolved.

Again I apologize for any inconvenience that this causes and I'll update this thread when a fix becomes available.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

As I said previously it CANNOT be avoided simply by not changing layouts, since it also occurs whenever you create a lookup with multiple contacts. As mentioned above: "...shuffling through contacts in a contact list makes it so that the documents from one contact stick to all the others." The solution to this issue was equally unsatisfactory ("Don't look up more than one at once").

What, pray tell, is the use of a database program that allows you to look up multiple contacts and organize your results in an effective way, if you are told not to look up more than one at a time, and not to organize the results? Even if it were the case that this only occured when switching layouts (which it is not), in what alternate universe is it an appropriate answer to just say "don't use this part of the program" rather than "we should fix that?" I am sincerely baffled by the active resistance I have been met with when all I ask is that you make your program work the way it is supposed to.

Again yesterday I spent 2+ hours on the phone with a technician. Eventually this technician was able to assist me, and it was greatly appreciated. But I am getting very close to the point now where, in the amount of time I have spent on the phone with Sage, the EARTH HAS FULLY ROTATED.

If this were in any way humorous I would suggest that it is a complete farce. ACT still crashes with alarming regularity, "error loading layout" screens happen every day (is this also a suggested solution for the documents issue? If the layout won't load at all, that means it can't load improperly!), and virtually no one at your company deigns to acknowledge that problems should be resolved rather than ignored.

How is it that it took the Egyptian people 18 days to topple a 30 year dictatorship, and yet a company which claims to be "passionate about helping our customers achieve their ambitions," spends weeks on end puttering around, only to decide in the end that they'd really rather not address an issue at this time?

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

A full month has now passed since I first brought this issue to the attention of a customer support tech. At that point, I was told that there would be a knowledgebase article on the subject, and that it would be brought to the attention of you, the developers. Obviously, this has gotten me nowhere. After speaking with a sixth support tech, I waited on the phone while they searched the knowledgebase for 10+ minutes. There was no article on the subject. The tech spoke to his supervisor who confirmed that the problem has been fixed for the next version of ACT: a piece of software slated to come out next Fall.

This new twist is utterly infuriating. If this has been identified as a "problem," and subsequently "fixed," why are you wasting your customers' time by refusing to correct it for the current version? And how much more will we have to pay for this new version?

Employee

Mike again I apologize for the issues this is causing. I assure you that we do care about your issue and effort is being put into resolving it. When someone says that an issue is slated to be resolved in a subesquent version, that is simply an estimated timeline, and does no imply that a fix is currently available, we would never with hold fixes from our customers. 

When issues are submitted they're placed into a queue and prioritized based on a variety of factors, the issues that get the highest priority are those that result in immediate data loss, corruption or damage to the database itself. These are typically the issues that you will see hotfixed immediately. This issue is display related, and the document in the documents tab aren't actually being relocated to another record, but simply displayed incorrectly. This is no less important for us, but can only be addressed once the highest priority issues are resolved.

As I've mentioned previously, this issue has already been submitted, it's in the queue for resolution and as soon as I have a defenitive time line I'll update this thread.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Matthew,

I appreciate your response. It certainly does not make me happy that I had to threaten to illicit a response, but it seems I have to take what I can get.

We do understand about the queue, and the system by which you approach these corrections. The problem is that this has been persisting for so long now, and it is obviously causing enough trouble that I have to take the time to continually come back here. And, again, I cannot stress it enough, there are many other problems as well.

It has now been 18 days since your first "I understand your frustration," 21 days since I first posted here, and 34 days since I first called about this issue. Dealing with matters due to relative importance is fine, I understand. However, this is quite important. It means that our employees cannot trust the information in front of them, and it breeds constant confusion and doubt. Into a database program. A program whose sole function is to remove confusion and doubt.

Again, more than a month has passed without any evidence that anything is happening at all. I was told of work arounds. The work arounds did not work. I was told it might be addressed in a hotfix. A hotfix has come out, and this was not addressed. I was told to there would be a knowledgebase article about this issue. No knowledgebase article exists on the subject.

If it important enough a priority to edit my previous responses, and you have the time to do this, you have the time to address the core issue. If it is a matter of bumping it up in the queue, please see to it that that gets done. I have been telling everybody I can get a hold of to do this for 34 days now. I will not mention BBB again until after I have contacted them.