Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Development and Production ACT! Implementations

Copper Contributor

Development and Production ACT! Implementations

As many in this forum seem to be doing I am working on a "mixed" implementation where my client will be running the server version of ACT! but I am also working on an extensive application that will use both the ACT! data and other data in a separate SQL Server DB.  In any other environment where I've worked we maintained both "development" and "production" versions of everything in the system including databases and applications.  We would experiment, develop, and test on the development version and only after we were completely satisfied would we roll out changes to the production system.  I'm sure that everyone is familiar with this approach.

Does anyone have experience with running both development and production versions of an ACT! server-based system?  Does the license even permit this?  Are there any unexpected issues associated with rolling out updates from an ACT! developer system to the production system?  (At this point the only changes I can see being made to the actual ACT! system would be custom fields to various tables.

Thanks,

Larry

Copper Contributor

Re: Development and Production ACT! Implementations

Did you ever receive a response on this?

Best regards,

Sam

Copper Contributor

Sam,

Nope...No response.  I'd sure like to see one.

Good luck as I gather you have the same question.

Larry

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Larry,

I'm not aware of any product difference between the Developer's copy and the version that are used in live systems. I think the only difference may  be in teh EULA of the licence.

With regards to testing, I do pretty much the same, develop locally against a copy of the dB and once ready publish out to the production environments. The edition of ACT! I have on my machine is the  edition I use to access the Master dB for us.

HTH.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Nickel Elite Contributor

I run my development and production/simulated production environments on separate systems as you describe.  The ACT! license is per ACT! client installation so as long as your client install is licensed then I don't know of any issue with what you are describing.  Generally you should NOT be using the same serial number on both systems.  Each serial allows for 2x activations, but the second activation is intended for machine hardware changes not production/staging scenarios.  

From my experience as long as you have the same versions of ACT! on both systems 95% of system transitions are smooth, and the few that I have issues with are usually because I write a custom control or plugin that is looking for a custom field I haven't added to the target system.  Very rarely I'll have a case where the production system allows for a data value (or null) that I hadn't anticipated in development which throws an error - but I can normally replicate in dev by restoring a backup of the production system into a dev envt.