Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Developing a plugin that will work on ACT! 2010 and below

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Developing a plugin that will work on ACT! 2010 and below

Hello!

I would like to know if it is possible to implement a plugin that will work on more ACT! versions.

In other words, is there a way to "see" or "catch" the ACT! version on which my plugin is running and to let the plugin choose which ACT! dll's to use? 

Thanks 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ana407
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Developing a plugin that will work on ACT! 2010 and below

[ Edited ]

What you can do is reference the .DLL's from an earlier version of ACT!  I usually build my stuff against ACT! v9 / 2007 DLL's so that it will work in 2007 - 2010.

The most common exception to this is when you're writing a plugin that relies on features not included in an earlier version of ACT!, like for custom tables (v10.0.2 or later)  It could also be that the screen / menus have changed, but you could probably handle that in your code by checking the version and then creating the appropriate menu / toolbar items.

ActFramework.ActDatabase.SchemaVersion will get you a string with the version of the database you're logged on to.

Message Edited by lkamerman on 02-22-2010 10:38 AM
Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author ana407
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

What you can do is reference the .DLL's from an earlier version of ACT!  I usually build my stuff against ACT! v9 / 2007 DLL's so that it will work in 2007 - 2010.

The most common exception to this is when you're writing a plugin that relies on features not included in an earlier version of ACT!, like for custom tables (v10.0.2 or later)  It could also be that the screen / menus have changed, but you could probably handle that in your code by checking the version and then creating the appropriate menu / toolbar items.

ActFramework.ActDatabase.SchemaVersion will get you a string with the version of the database you're logged on to.

Message Edited by lkamerman on 02-22-2010 10:38 AM
Len Kamerman

Hi Len,

thank you for this.  I have a similar issue to that described below.  We built our application against ACt v9/2007 DLLs.  Our application works in 2007, but not with all installs of ACT 2010.  I say not all because my laptop has 2010 (XP SP3) and our application works fine on my PC.  My developer can only get it to work on a XP SP3 machine running ACT 2007.  I have built two machines: one with XP SP3 and one with Win 7, both running ACT 2010 with latest patches.  My developer also has an XP SP3 machihe with ACT 2010.  Other than on my laptop, the plugin will not appear on the menu bar.

I have tried all the recommendations: (dependentdlls.xml file removal, deleting preferences, ensuring all XML versions match etc) - all to no avail.  Does Sage depricate functions?  Is it possible that the original (2007) calls are not supported in 2010.

I would appreciate any help on this issue.

Sam Khoury

Nickel Super Contributor

I don't know enough about your app to make much of a suggestion, but I would reason that if it works on your PC with ACT! 2010 then it's NOT an ACT! version issue.  Maybe start comparing what version of the .NET framework you're building against and what's installed on the PC's you're testing on...
Len Kamerman