Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database ID

Tuned Listener

Database ID

Does an Act database have a unique identifier? I thought there was an old topic on the subject but I can't see anything about it on the forums. Thanks Russell
Tuned Listener

Re: Database ID

Bumpety Bump

Does anyone have any idea how to uniquely identify an ACT! database? By UID or otherwise?

Regards,

Russell
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Russell,

Each ACT! dB in the SQL Server has to have a unique name, so you could use that as the unique identifier?

Vivek
Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Tuned Listener

Is that going to be unique if two people create a database of the same name?

Russell
Copper Contributor

ACT! will not allow you to create two databases with the same name (on the same SQL Server instance).  If I try, I get the following:

A database with the specified name already exists. Please specify a unique name.

So, you can uniquely identify an ACT! database by combining the machine name/SQL named-instance plus the database name:
    mymachine\act7\mydatabase
Or, from the user's (or .PAD file) perspective:
    host="mymachine" name="mydatabase"

HTH,
jason
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Tuned Listener

brilliant, thank you

Regards

Russell
Copper Contributor

Re: Database ID (and GUID)

[ Edited ]
For everyone who ends up at this topic unsatisfied... I don't like the idea of using a string comprised of machine name and database name. Either could change and I have other reasons as you will see.

After several hours digging through the ACT SDK Code Reference I finally found what would appear to be a genuine GUID for an ACT database. It apparently gets created only if a database is using Synchronization.  With that proviso, you will find it in the properties of the SynchronizationManager class. I am not sure if this object is available in all versions/flavors of ACT, but I am using it for now.

Like all ACT Managers, you fetch the SynchronizationManager via the ActApplication object:

SynchronizationManager syncMgr = myActApplicationObject.ActFramework.SynchronizationManager;

There are actually two GUID values available here: one for the Local database and one for the Publisher database (if the local database is a Synchronization Subscriber).  If you are not using Synchronization, I believe you will find both GUIDs to be all zeroes (therefore, of no use to non-Sync users).  Nonetheless:

// fetch the local database GUID (on my machine)
string localGUID = syncMgr.LocalDBGuid.ToString();

// fetch indicator as to whether current DB is a Subscriber
bool dbIsSubscriber = syncMgr.IsSubscriberDB;

// fetch the Publisher (master) database GUID
string masterGUID = syncMgr.PubDBGuid.ToString();

This was useful to me because I have some User Settings that are particular to the database schema. I wanted to segregate these User Settings by specific database in my User Settings file (e.g., "user.config").

I use the Publisher GUID, if there is one, to segregate and identify my database-specific User Settings. The Publisher database is the keeper of the database schema for itself and all Subscribers, so that is the GUID I use regardless of whether the user is accessing the central database (the Publisher) directly or accessing the remote database (Subscriber) on their laptop.  In other words, I fetch the Publisher GUID if the current open database is a Subscriber, otherwise I fetch the Local GUID.

Hope this helps another helpless soul like myself. I would appreciate hearing of any exceptions, caveats, problems, etc. related to these GUIDs.
Message Edited by steve.m on 01-29-2010 03:58 PM
Avid Listener

Re: Database ID (and GUID)

Steve,

Thanks this code help me a lot when determining if the DB currently open is a remotedb or not.

Kudos

DBS