Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

DataGridView Custom Control

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

DataGridView Custom Control

Is it possible to create a WinForms DataGridView custom control that can be used in Layout Designer and bound to a custom table/entity off of the contacts?

Or is there a grid view plugin?

Something like this:

act-datagridview.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mdmullinax
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Re: DataGridView Custom Control

Yes, you can!

Here's a template to create a custom tab for custom table/entity:

http://community.act.com/t5/ACT-Developer-Downloads/Custom-Sub-Entity-Visual-Studio-Template/m-p/113... 

You can use this directly if you're happy with a tab.

If you want a designable control for the Layout Designer, I believe the SDK docs describe how to create a custom control (contact bound).  And to get your custom table gird,basically you combine the two, create a contact bound custom control (which will be/host a grid), and leverage the code in the template above to bind to a custom sub-entity.

HTH,

--Xavier

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author mdmullinax
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Yes, you can!

Here's a template to create a custom tab for custom table/entity:

http://community.act.com/t5/ACT-Developer-Downloads/Custom-Sub-Entity-Visual-Studio-Template/m-p/113... 

You can use this directly if you're happy with a tab.

If you want a designable control for the Layout Designer, I believe the SDK docs describe how to create a custom control (contact bound).  And to get your custom table gird,basically you combine the two, create a contact bound custom control (which will be/host a grid), and leverage the code in the template above to bind to a custom sub-entity.

HTH,

--Xavier

Copper Contributor

Thanks Xavier, the CustomSubEntity code gives me plenty to work with.

I'm familiarizing myself with the SDK.  Some good info in there.  I'm planning to build out the custom control for the grid.

Are there any advantages or considerations of creating a custom control vs tab/grid from the CustomSubEntity plugin?  I'm customizing ACT for a department of ~8 users where half are sales and the other administrative.  I'm thinking the custom control gives more power to the user that wants to setup a layout with or without the grid control where the plugin would load in regardless but maybe there's some other advantages of plugins I'm not thinking about.

Employee

I think you nailed it.  The big difference is whether you want an ACT! administrator to customize the experience in ACT!.  In both cased you have to deploy the add-on to client machines.  The notable difference is where the grid will show up, if you need it to show up next to other fields, then a custom control is the way to go.  And you can always drop it in a tab.

From a development perspective, it's probably easier to use the tab entity template, simply because it's largely done, you just create the entity & fields, and bind.

HTH,

--Xavier

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since you started out also asking '... is there a grid view plugin?"

Yes, there is! Contact components is one of the many feature of our Impact Suite v5 for ACT!

You can add list, charts and or pivot tables directly onto the contact details view using the ACT designer.

These components can consume; notes, histories, opportunities, activities and/or custom table data.

Simply open the designer and click on Custom ( If you don't see these entries then right-click and select 'Customize...' then place a check mark in each control for those to appear in the custom list)  

Designer

Question to Xavier. Can you change the need to right-click to add the custom controls? This right-click is not required when you create a custom dashboard. Why is it required when you create a custom component. Or am I missing a trick to auto add them?

Once on the view you can use the "Smart Tag" to toggle between the there styles.

ContactDetails

Learn more about Impact Suite v5 for ACT!  Take it for a test drive today!

http://durkincomputing.com/default.aspx

Thanks

-- Jim Durkin

www.DurkinComputing.com

Employee

@Jim, I don't recall if there's a good reason why you have to right click on one and not the other.  Quite possible just a little idiosyncrasy.

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I may by an idiosyncrasy but for the average end-user it is a hurdle.

Most end-users trialing add-ons do not hunt for features under right-click menus.

-- Jim

Employee

Jim do users intuitively know to look for custom dashboard controls in the custom area of the toolbox in the designer, even if you don't have to right-click?  My point is that there may be some opportunity for general usability of discoverability of custom controls here beyond consistency.

Bronze Super Contributor

Well..

I think they do since we are promoting custom dashboards and controls in our add ons.

This could be wishful thinking since the take away from our web site is 'custom controls'

Leading the users to the designers is one thing having them right click to install is another.

Other developers have been using custom controls much longer the us, maybe they can also provide feedback.

The least barriers to entry is what we are looking for.

Jim