Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Customizing the Welcome Page

Nickel Elite Contributor

Customizing the Welcome Page

[ Edited ]

The good news is there’s lots of ways to add something like  doc link to the Welcome page.

I’ll provide a bit of a primer here, with some examples.

All of the Welcome page components are located in the directory:

{ACT! install dir}\Home

Typically:

C:\Program Files\ACT\Act forWindows\Home

At a high level the ACT_home.htm and IdlePage.htm are the html forms the view inside of ACT! loads to start with.

The Act_home.htm then executes some of the javascripts in Home.js and Shared.js to begin constructing the content of the sections defined in the htm file.

Since the content is a mixtureof “static” and dynamic content (mainly content coming over the web into the opco section of the page) the static content is stored in the Data.xml file.

If you want to use the existing sections and edit a link within the section then go into the Data.xml file and find the link and replace it within the Links section of the xml file.

You can also add a link to the XML file – this takes 2 steps:

Add the item reference for whichever section you want to add the link like this:

<itemcmd="javascript&colon;OpenWebResouce('Mylink');">

<text>Help Me!</text>

</item>

Then under the links section ofthe xml file add the link reference:

<!-- Custom Links -->

<link name="Mylink"winFeat="sageSites">C:\Documents and Settings\aduet\MyDocuments\test.doc</link>

The “Mylink” in the first part (the item cmd) matches the link name= “Mylink” in the second part – that’s how the item knows which url to send a user to.

If you want to remove a section then go into the javascript file and comment out the function to build that section (e.g. BuildGettingStartedAreaHTML(vType)Smiley Wink.

If you want to add a new section then the easiest method is to edit the Htm file directly – You can add a new table row <tr> or repurpose one of the table data cells - remember to comment out the javascript build function for a section if you repurpose that section.

Specifically for a link to a document:

3 options for you here

1.       If the doc will always be local (the doc is included in the ACT! install) then just add alink to the doc into the Data.xml file (as example above)

2.      If you want to host the doc link in a web page then add the link to your website – same as above but a http:// reference

3.      If the doc is a pdf or multimedia file you could embed an html object into the welcome page – Edit the htm page with something like:

<object

data="C:\docs\ACT! 2010- Twitter Web Info example.pdf"  type= "application/pdf"style="width: 400px; height: 315px;" >

</object>

Let me know if this helps. I’m sending you my data.xml file to show the above example XML editing inthe live file (I’ve commented the sections I modified).  

You can also do quite advanced customizations to this page (I have an example of embedding an iframe whichacts as a tab view control), but for the time being this should help with basic link modifications/additions to the page.

Message Edited by alduet on 02-24-2010 07:59 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Customizing the Welcome Page

Thanks Allen!  I love having resources like this posted, thanks so much for taking the time to share this!
Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your document, Allen.

Can you please tell where we can find the strings for the welcome screen when a database is opened, at the bottom, for Events and announcements, try other Sage software and Sage communities, featured apps?

These links are not in any of the files in the/home folder.

Thanks,
Inge van Gemert
The Netherlands
inge@inkey.net
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

A couple of clarification points- you are referring to ACT! 2011 as those areas are new to ACT! 2011. 

Those areas are what we call dynamic content - they are actually 3 different web pages being rendered over the internet into this Welcome Page.  They are what are known as the opco content areas - if you look at the opcocontent folder you'll see the defaultopco.htm files we use to populate those areas of the welcome page when the appliciton cannot detect an internet connection (rather than showing a 404 page not found error).

The links that show the urls' that feed those areas are located in the data.xml file under the links section.  For North America English product here are the links in that file:

<!-- OpCo Content -->
    <link name="opcoOnlineURL">http://www.act.com/2011startup2</link>
    <link name="opcoDefaultURL">OpcoContent/Defaultopco.htm</link>
    <link name="opcoOnlineURL2">http://www.act.com/2011startup</link>
    <link name="opcoDefaultURL2">OpcoContent/Defaultopco2.htm</link>
    <link name="opcoOnlineURL3">http://www.act.com/2011startup3</link>
    <link name="opcoDefaultURL3">OpcoContent/Defaultopco3.htm</link>

so Events and announcements is populated by : http://www.act.com/2011startup, etc...

You can't alter the content of these feeds becasue they are hosted by Sage, but you could take the same approach and add your own feed into the Welcome page using the same model.

Hope this helps.

Allen

Copper Contributor

Thank you!
Thanks,
Inge van Gemert
The Netherlands
inge@inkey.net
Bronze Elite Contributor

Is there any help or documents on customising ACT for WEB welcome page?

Thanks

Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks Allen.  I think that this is what I was looking for.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I found this post whilst looking to do this exact thing but I guess this process is no longer applicable since you posted it? I say that as I have looked through all the files within C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Home and although I see all the pages you refer to, mine are mostly blank. The ACT-home.htm page has barely anty code in it in between the header and footer and the data.xml page doesn't correlate with what I am seeing on the actual welcome page at alll. The links in this file aren't actually on my welcome page.

Do you know if the structure has changed since tyou posted this back in 2010? The version I am using is Premium 17.0.151.0

Thanks in advance.