Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom tables in act

Tuned Listener

Custom tables in act

Hi,

Iam very new to Act! customisation, I want to create custom table in the Act like 'name' and 'Date of joining' are the two columns for that table. could anyone suggest me how to do it. Thanks .

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Custom tables in act

Take a look at the sample in the dowloads section here http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ADN_Downloads&thread.id=1 its far too long to explain in a post.

Tom

Hi Ambarish,

While the first reply to your post is a good resource if you want to see it in action, your best bet, if you're a developer and have Visual Studio .NET, is to download the VS.NET template for Custom Sub-Entities.

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ADN_Downloads&thread.id=61

That's where the download is. Follow the tutorial - it's in a .PDF there, and make sure to include all of the references it lists (hint: do a search for the names in your program files/act folder, because they're all scattered around) Once you've done the tutorial, you can change it around a little to get the specific fields you want.

Come back and ask more questions if you still have some after doing the tutorial. It's really not an easy process at all.

Tuned Listener

Thanx Earcaraxe,

I had gone through that tutorial and same thing i followed then i have got the sub entity called pets but i wanted add/remove some fields into that subentity. Could you suggest in which class i have to make changes.

Nickel Super Contributor

Here is a short example of how to add and delete fields, hope it helps Smiley Happy

Private Sub DeleteField(Byval alias as string, Byval descriptor as Act.Framework.CustomEntities.CustomEntityDescriptor) 'get the fields Dim fields As Act.Framework.Database.FieldDescriptorCollection = ActApp.ActFramework.Fields.GetFields(descriptor) For Each field As Act.Framework.Database.FieldDescriptor In fields If field.Alias = alias Then 'delete the field ActApp.ActFramework.Fields.Delete(field) End If Next End Sub Private Sub CreateField(Byval ftype As Act.Framework.Database.FieldDataType, displayname as string, alias as string, Byval descriptor as Act.Framework.CustomEntities.CustomEntityDescriptor) Try 'create the field field = New Act.Framework.Database.FieldDescriptor(displayname, alias, descriptor, ftype) 'save the field ActApp.ActFramework.Fields.Save(field) Catch ex As Exception MessageBox.Show(ex.Message, "ACT", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error) End Try End Sub

Tom

Copper Elite Contributor

there are a few applications out there that make table creation really easy.  my favorite is from Topline Results.  you can see it here:

http://www.toplineresults.com/products/toplinedesigner/index.htm

warm regards,
bevan wistar, ACC
bevan@zip-city.com
twitter.com/zip_city
g 949-478-2701
Copper Contributor

This is a definatly long process to explain in the forums. If your really looking into coding out the custom entity any of the above linked samples will help you out. If your not to concerned about coding the table yourself and you just want to create one fast and easy then bevan is right. We have a few development partners who have applications designed to create these tables. Off the top of my head Topline Designer is one and another is from CRM Addons. I believe both can be found in the Add-ons section of Act.com.

If I use a program like Topline Designer to create another table for ACT! do all other users in our office have to have Topline Designer installed in order to see the new data or would just I need it?  I'm sure my boss does not want to spend that much money for add-ons after already spending a lot on the ACT! program itself. 

We are just trying to add a table for the serial numbers and corresponding data, RMA info, etc.  that each customer purchases...so we really don't need a lot of the extra fancy stuff that many of these Add-ons come with.

Nickel Super Contributor

You would need a Topline Designer license for each user who needs to see and/or enter data into the custom table/s.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT