Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Sub-entity not loading

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Custom Sub-entity not loading

Hi,

I'm just getting starting trying to customize ACT.  I ran through an excellent tutorial with template that I found in the downloads forum, and also tried some sample code that does the same thing.  In both cases, I can create the dll fine, but when I put it in the Plugins directory and start up ACT, nothing happens.  What should I be checking?  Is there a log that shows what's been loaded?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tsjolander
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Re: Custom Sub-entity not loading

That's probably the issue then, change your target framework to 3.5, you'll also need to delete DependentDlls again so Act will attempt to load your plugin.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

View solution in original post

All Replies
Employee

The first place to look would be %appdata$/Act/Act Data/DependentDlls.xml, this xml file will add assemblies that are either dependent or failed to load, you can simply delete the file and act will attempt to load all assemblies on next startup and rebuild the file.

Additionally, you can edit ActSage.exe.config and change the logging levels to verbose (4), it'll look like this: 

<!--Logging Levels: value =
0 – Off
1 – Error
2 – Warning
3 – Info
4 – Verbose
-->

<!-- New High Level Log Categories - beginning with ACT! 12.1 -->
<add name="ACTCommonSwitch" value="4"/>
<add name="ACTFrameworkSwitch" value="4"/>
<add name="ACTApplicationSwitch" value="4"/>

Then start act, if your assembly fails to load you can check ACTLOG.xml for details. Remember to turn the switches back to one once you're done troubleshooting. Finally, in the properties of your VS project, on the debug tab, change Start Action to Start External Program and point it at ActSage.exe, this will allow you to debug your code.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Matthew, 

Thank you for your help so far.  I was able to modify the logging levels, but although the dll shows as being loaded according to DependentDlls.xml, there is no mention of it in ACTLOG.XML.  As before, it doesn't appear to have any effect on the UI.  While debugging using Visual Studio, breakpoints are not enabled and the dll is not listed among the loaded modules.  What should I check next?

Employee

So your assembly is, or is not listed in DependentDlls.xml? If it is listed that means that it failed to load.

What version of Act are you using and what version of .Net is your project targeting?

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

The dll is listed in DependentDlls.xml.  I'm targeting .NET version 4.5 for Act Premium 2011.

Solution
Accepted by topic author tsjolander
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

That's probably the issue then, change your target framework to 3.5, you'll also need to delete DependentDlls again so Act will attempt to load your plugin.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

That fixed it.  Thanks for your help!