Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Product/Quotes - Help and advice

Custom Product/Quotes - Help and advice

I am trying to determine if a) what I want to achieve is possible and b) whether the ACT! SDK is the only tool I need or whether any 3rd party addons will help.

We are a Embroidery and Printing company and we are currently using/starting to use ACT! for our contact management. I now want to start using it to track our opportunities and produce quotes.

The problem is that the built in Products/Services solution in ACT! does not work for us. We quote on T-Shirts etc where each 'style' has multiple colours and multiple sizes and they often have different prices depending on those sizes and colours to which we then add our price for the Embroidery and/or printing.

There are three different types of quotes that we produce.

1) Where the customer wants, say, a T-Shirt with a design but does not yet know what colour or quantity. We have to produce a quote for the style(s) they have chosen but it has to include all the colour/size options and therefore price options.

They may also want choices of different style of T-Shirt for comparison.

item # 

ITEM description 

Colour(s) 

Size(s) 

Design(s)

Unit Price

ABC123

T-Shirt

Colours

S-XL

Company Logo

£6.00

ABC123

T-Shirt

Colours

2-4XL

Company Logo

£6.50

ABC123

T-Shirt

White

S-XL

Company Logo

£5.80

XYZ321

Better Quality T-Shirt

All Colours

S-3XL

Company Logo

£8.00

2) As above but the customer does know the colour(s) required, but not the quantities of the sizes

item #

ITEM description

Colour(s)

Size(s)

Design(s)

Unit Price

ABC123

T-Shirt

Red, Green

S-XL

Company Logo

£6.00

ABC123

T-Shirt

Red, Green

2-4XL

Company Logo

£6.50

3) The customer knows the full break down of Colour(s) and size(s) and wants a fully priced quote for the whole job

Quantity

item #

ITEM description

Colour(s)

Size(s)

Design(s)

Unit Price

Net Price

ABC123

T-Shirt

Red, Green

S-XL

Company Logo

£6.00

£300

ABC123

T-Shirt

Red, Green

2-4XL

Company Logo

£6.50

£65

We currently have an in-house system that looks after our catalogue. This system is an ASP.NET application with MS SQL database.

The catalogue items are stored in two tables: Styles and Items.

The styles table lists all the styles, i.e ABC123 - XYZ321.

The items table contains a row for each item.

ABC123, Black, Small, £6.00

ABC123. Black, Medium, £6.00

It also contains a Colour Group and Size Group for each item:

ABC123, Black, Small, £6.00, Colours, S-XL

ABC123. Black, Medium, £6.00, Colours, S-XL

ABC123, White, Small, £5.80, White, S-XL

I do not wish to recreate this in ACT! as our system looks after this catalogue.

What I want to do is to be able to use this information to be able to produce quotes that are tracked by ACT!.

My research has lead me to believe that the built in functionality of ACT! for Products/Services would not be able to deal with this nor could it be modified to do so.

My question therefore is: Can I "replace" the quote functionality in ACT! with my own application that produces the above types of quotes with data obtained from our current catalogue system but still record the quote in the opportunity documents. I realise that the opportunity money values could not be stored unless a full quote was produced, and even if it can't be done then it is not that much of a problem. I just want to be able to use ACT! to manage our leads and be able to quickly produce quotes based on data from our in-house system and store the quotes with the opportunity.

I have looked at 3rd party applications like QuoteWerks but I can't see this working for the model we require. Plus I would like any solution to be embedded in ACT! as a neater solution.

I wrote our in-house system from scratch using ASP.NET C# and I believe that I am capable of developing a custom application that may be required to achieve what I'm after (although I haven't done any serious Windows development since VB 6!). I'm just after some pointers and advice as to how best I should go about this and what tools I will/may need, especially when it comes to the ACT! side of things.

Or if someone knows a good ACT! developer/consultant that is up for this challenge then please do let me know what you think this would cost.

There are other slightly more complex functionality that I would like to add to the above, such as quantity discounts and the ability to calculate design costs based on formula (i.e. Pence per Thousand Stitches) but left that out of the above examples for simplicities sake.

Many Thanks

Employee

Re: Custom Product/Quotes - Help and advice

[ Edited ]

Hello Pullance,

Welcome to the Act Online Community.

The SDK should be the only thing from the Act side that you'll require if you choose to develop a custom app to address your needs. Also here is the link to the products in the add-on store that are a capable of generating quotes. Addtionally there are several ACC's that post in this section that develop custom add-ons.

My question therefore is: Can I "replace" the quote functionality in ACT! with my own application that produces the above types of quotes with data obtained from our current catalogue system but still record the quote in the opportunity documents.

Absolutely. You could also upate the monetary values within Act from your existing database. Because I'm not a consultant I'm not going to make recommendations about what will work best for you, but if you have any Act SDK specific questions I'd be glad to help.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Re: Custom Product/Quotes - Help and advice

Hello Pullance,

I represent one of the leading QuoteWerks partners - www.hilltopsit.co.uk/quotewerks - we have also done many add-on developments for Sage and QuoteWerks products - www.connectit-software.co.uk - AND done a lot of work with clients with similar requirements to those you describe.

I can see how QuoteWerks 'could' work for you and where there 'might' be shortfalls. If you'd like to get in touch to discuss options further, then you can reach me by email - steve@hilltopsit.co.uk.

Regards,

Stephen Siggs
Hilltops IT & ConnectIt Software

ACT! addons - http://www.connectit-software.co.uk
ACT! services - http://www.hilltopsit.co.uk