Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating or opening a data source for MailMerge

Creating or opening a data source for MailMerge

Greetings;

Novice and new member, really need help with this problem. It seems to be straight forward but not working out that way.

Specifics:

•  Using Act pro 2011

• Word (office) 2010

Trying to:

• Create (or open) a data source in word Programmatically, that consists of one Opportunity record with it's associated Products_Services data. (we create proposals as opposed to line item quotes)

Have not been able to do anything other than create and use .ODC that simply gives me the Opportunity view. Can't find a connection string that works. A little bit of LOVE would be right on time. Really getting frustrated.

HELP!

Employee

Re: Creating or opening a data source for MailMerge

While selecting the datasource, choose other/advance. One of the options in the followng list should be the Act OLE Reporting Provider 2.0, this should do a better job of providing you with the data you need.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Thx for the reply,

I am currently doing as you suggest, however I don't see how to retrieve a return set that consists of the complete opportunity record with it's associated products_services. Currently, when creating the data source: when prompted to select a table, I select the opportunity view.  I guess the real problem is that I don't see how to provide an SQL statment to Act directly using this method.

???

I apologize for the slim details,

this may help you help me:

1. As the template is opened, a userform pops and the user enters an identifier (still serching for the right field for this)
  2.  Based on this identifier, I would like to fire the right SQL statement to return the complete Opportunity Record w/ Product_Services.

Is the Opportunity view the right view? What I would like to do is connect to Act directly and use the Create Data Source method of the MailMerge object, however I am unable to find the right connect string to connect. Further I am unclear on the proper format for the SQLStatement argument.

Hope this narrows the discussion.

By the way, I really appreciate the help.

Employee

I'm not familiar with where you'd enter a query into word. I can create the connection but I'm not sure where I'd join the necessary views. Yes we do need the opportunity table, but we also need the OPPORTUNITY_PRODUCTSERVICE, PRODUCT_SERVICE and PRODUCT tables.

The connection string should be created automatically when you connect the datasource to your application.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator