Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating new SQL table

Copper Contributor

Creating new SQL table

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I need to know a bit about SQL and the SDK.

Can you use the SDK to create a new table in an ACT! SQL database?

Thanks,

SS

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Creating new SQL table

Yes SS ... you can create custom sub-tables via the SDK.

There are three add-ons available to do this, which might be easier if not needed for a fully custom app: itTables, Durkin Toolkit and TopLine Designer
Copper Contributor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your message. I don't want the table to be a sub-entity. It's a table to store preferences for my addin.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

SS
Platinum Elite Contributor

You might find it useful to link to the contacts ... that way, you can have preferences that are specific to individual users.
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Just tossing this out there:

If you don't (or can't) associate your preferences to a contact, could you use an XML file to store your preferences? I've done this myself by creating a custom class and a strongly-typed collection class to store multiple instances and serializing the collection to an XML file. It can be easily deserialized to get back into the collection/class setup. You might be able to use a List< Of T> instead of a custom collection class, but I haven't looked into this. One question that comes to mind with this path is; where should that file be saved?

For anyone not familiar with the term "strongly-typed", it means it will only accept objects of a specific type. Example: the System.Specialized.StringCollection class is strongly-typed because it only allows string objects to be added.

Again, just a possibility if the database route doesn't work out.