Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating custom entities that do not respect ACT's security system

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Creating custom entities that do not respect ACT's security system

Hi guys, wonder if anyone can help us on this one...

We have created some custom tables in an act database linked to the contact record. Most of the users on that database are restricted and they can make changes in the database fields, however we are getting security exceptions when the user tries to update one of the fields in the custom tables.

Also, we want the users to be able to delete records on these custom tables, even though they have no permission to delete records on the main act tables (contacts/companies/groups).

Is there any way we can indicate through the sdk to ignore security model in act for these custom tables?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hugo Vale
Datastream Custom Solutions
http://www.datastreamcs.com

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author hugovale
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Creating custom entities that do not respect ACT's security system

Hi Bill,

Bill wrote:

So you've created a Custom Table (Sub-entity) using the 10.02 SDK, is that correct?

Yes, 3 tables actually, which I wanted to keep them independent from ACT's security model.

Bill wrote:

So from memory, a Restricted (Role) User can add and edit data, just not delete data...

What exactly is the security exception when that Restricted User attempts to update data in the Custom Table?

Theoretically yes, however, I binded the fields directly to a form and I'm getting security exceptions when just editing data on the textboxes. I'll provide a sample later as right now we figured out a work around and have been really busy implementing it on the client.

Bill wrote:

No, there is no way to "get around" the fundamental security model that the ACT! SDK provides.  This is a good thing.

I agree with you on this... it is a good thing to keep it consistent... however it doesn't apply to our client's business model. I guess I was asking for table independent security model.

Anyway, for anyone who might face the same problem, our workaround for it was keeping an alternate framework object logged in with a user with more permissions and do custom table operations using it.

Thanks for your help Bill

Hugo Vale

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

So you've created a Custom Table (Sub-entity) using the 10.02 SDK, is that correct?

So from memory, a Restricted (Role) User can add and edit data, just not delete data...

What exactly is the security exception when that Restricted User attempts to update data in the Custom Table? 

No, there is no way to "get around" the fundamental security model that the ACT! SDK provides.  This is a good thing.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Solution
Accepted by topic author hugovale
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Hi Bill,

Bill wrote:

Yes, 3 tables actually, which I wanted to keep them independent from ACT's security model.

Bill wrote:

Theoretically yes, however, I binded the fields directly to a form and I'm getting security exceptions when just editing data on the textboxes. I'll provide a sample later as right now we figured out a work around and have been really busy implementing it on the client.

Bill wrote:

I agree with you on this... it is a good thing to keep it consistent... however it doesn't apply to our client's business model. I guess I was asking for table independent security model.

Anyway, for anyone who might face the same problem, our workaround for it was keeping an alternate framework object logged in with a user with more permissions and do custom table operations using it.

Thanks for your help Bill

Hugo Vale
Tuned Listener

Hello

With Act for LAN we can create custom entity but is there anything like we can also create custom entity in

ACT 12 For Web.

Any help is appreciated