Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ContactWebContextBrowser

Copper Contributor

ContactWebContextBrowser

by mhopkins on 12-05-2007 8:09 PM

Hi,

I am just getting my feet wet in the ACT! SDK.  I could use a couple of pointers.

I need to display some data from another database server in ACT! so I am using the ContactWebContextBrowser in a tab.

It works great except I need it to work in a tab in the company view and pass(in the URL query string) an id field in the company table instead of the contact table.  

Is rewriting the ContactWebContextBrowser into a CompanyWebContextBrowser my only solution?

Thanks

Mike

Copper Contributor

Re: ContactWebContextBrowser

by Pierre on 12-05-2007 9:06 PM

Hi Mike,

Good to see people picking up the SDK.

You have a couple of options to do what you want.

One, as you suggest is to write a CompanyWebContextBrowser based on the code provided for the contact one.  if you do not need designer support, with cool pop up editors and design time parsing, the actual code that does all the work is pretty simple and well documented (guess who wrote the code :-)).  I toyed with the idea of writing a company / contact / group web control but it got a bit complicated in the design time support and frankly I moved on to other projects like report writing and dashboards (more to come on that soon on DevNet)

the other option is to write a plugin instead of a custom control (plugins can show tabs in all layouts amongst other things, while custom controls are layout specific).  A plugin is much simpler to write and get context to the company (no need for currency list etc).  If you are interested in that option, check out Xavier training material and other samples in the SDK doc.

Pierre

-- Pierre
Copper Contributor

by mhopkins on 12-06-2007 9:42 AM

Thanks Pierre,

I believe I will go the plug-in route as you suggested. Your CompanyWebContextBrowser will definitely help me get things figured out quicker.

Mike

Copper Contributor

by inkey on 01-12-2008 5:27 PM

This example doesn't work on the Dutch version, only on the English version. I have to say that none of the available custom controls that use the IContactFieldBoundControl work on any Dutch version of ACT! The option does not show up in the right click on the Tool Pallet on the left and choose customize. These screens are translated, could that be the issue? I use the "Currency Field" example to try to get this working. It would be nice to be able to add my own controls to the layout. Any idea anyone?