Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Connecting to Act! 2010 from Access

Connecting to Act! 2010 from Access

We have an in-house manufacturing management system created in Access 2007, and are also using Act! 2010 for our CRM.  We would like to be able to draw in the current contact from Act! into our Access database.  This is a one way transfer (eg from Act! to Access).

Can someone provide some advise on the best way to do this?  I have seen a number of 3rd party apps that do this (Quotewerks is a good example).  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Connecting to Act! 2010 from Access

Reading the database isn't too hard... but getting the current contact means you'll probably need to write (or get someone to write) an ACT! Plugin using the ACT! SDK
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/07/connecting-to-act-by-sage-data.html
KVB

Hi Mike,

I'm a consultant working on this issue for my client.  I have chatted with technical support and they have told me that we are not able to connect/read the ACT! Pro database through ODBC or OLEDB.  We must upgrade to premium or buy the SA password.

Is this your understanding as well?

I'm currenty trying to get in touch with your SDK team to see what options I have there...

Kelly

You need Premium for ODBC, not for OLEDB

If you need help with the SDK, let me know
KVB

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Can you give me so more info on using OLEDB to connect to the ACT! database.  I can certainly see how it's done in Excel or other Office documents but I don't believe this can be done from MS Access.  If you know how to do this can you give me the details?

The same goes for the SDK.  I'm unclear how you can use the info from the SDK to make a connection to the ACT! database from MS Access.  Best case scenario won't you still need the SA password?

Thanks!

Kelly

I don't know Access that well, but I'm pretty sure it can read OLEDB

SDK requires you to program in .Net

Neither uses the SA ... which is only available for Premium users, anyway
Nickel Elite Contributor

I think you may be incorrect there Mike - in previous versions of MS Access you could setup an ODBC connection to other data sources, but an OLEDB link from inside of MS ACCESS to other data sources was not supported.  

You can, of course, access your MS ACCESS data via an OLEDB driver.

KVB

Mike/Allen,

Thanks for your responses.  I'm still unsure where we stand on this issue.  The goal is to access the Pro version of Act! database from an MS Access database.

MS Access does not work with OLEDB as easily as it does ODBC but in any case, creating an OLEDB connection will still require authentication to the ACT! database correct?  Either way we'll still need the SA password to make the connection.

Unless there is an OLEDB driver for the Pro version but I don't think there is.

Mike, don't we have the same issue when using .Net to make a connection to the Act! database?  We still need to authenticate and the Pro version of Act! doesn't come with any kind of authentication mechanism.

Can either of you shed any light on these questions?

Thanks!

kelly

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Kelly,

I thought I would just pipe in here.

• To connect via the OLEDB you don't need anything other than a valid working ACT! login. Smiley Surprised)
  • I'm fairly certain you can not use the OLEDB driver to access ACT! via Access. Smiley Surprised(
  • Connection via the SDK is done through the ACT! authentication and security levels and works for both Pro and Premium editions. You don't need the SA pwd etc.
  • The SA pwd is purely to connect to the backend Data tables of ACT! and can only be used for Read-Only operations excluding backups etc.

To use the SDK you'll need to code in .NET. Unfortunately I think VBA is not .NET so the way around this would be to create an "adaptor" class in .NET 3.5 or 2.0 that has public methods and to ensure that this dll class when compiled is COM exposed. YOu can then bring this class into your mdb project as a module (I think). This is all fairly simple stuff and a simple google will show you how to compile a COM .NET dll. If not come back here and we can walk you through it.

Connections to the ACT! dB are fairly trivial bits of code:

ActFramework oFram = new ActFramework(); //new instanace of the ACT! framework

oFram.Login(txtPAD_Path,txtUserName,txtPwd);

...and that's it your logged in!

If your connecting via the application model then its even simpler since you don't need to authenticate since your already logged into ACT! You just need a running instance of the ActApplication object which is equally as trivial!

P.S. the same SDK code works for both Pro and Premium editions.

HTH

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Nickel Elite Contributor

When you connect to ACT! Oledb provider use ACT! User credentials not SA.