Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Confused by Sage Limited SDK Access Policy

Tuned Listener

Confused by Sage Limited SDK Access Policy

Why does Sage only allow access to specific parts of the SDK? It only hinders innovation when they restrict the add-on community from enhancing their products. For example I have a client who would pay $$ for some manipulation of the history but I can't because Sage does not expose the history edit event so I can't trap for it. So now customer is ticked at Sage, I'm ticked at Sage cause that would have been $$ in my pocket and we are both looking at Salesforce and their API. I work with alot of manufacturer's API's and this is the only one that limits access.

Is there some logical reason for this?

JB 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Confused by Sage Limited SDK Access Policy

We recently did a plug-in for a site that traps the History to mark certain items as Private based on their rules. Even if they manually open the History and remove the Private check, it's reset as soon as they save it.

When the Contact edit event is fired, we check the History... 

They don't limit access. There just aren't specific events fired for changes to sub-items to a contact.

The hard part is finding emails recorded from Outlook - especially as Outlook can be writing emails when ACT! is closed and therefore the plugin isn't running. See:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=Pub_Dev&thread.id=520

Took me a while, but I even found a way around that after bashing my head at it for a while.

Tuned Listener

OK so am I off to think they SHOULD have sub-items events as well? Anyway so the contact edit event fires and you goto the history but if the history is the item that has been edited how would you know unless you had a before snap shot to compare an after to?
Platinum Elite Contributor

The History record has both a Create Date/Time and an Edit Date/Time as system Fields... separate from the ones that show in the History dialog, which users can modify

On the History Tab, go Options | Customise Columns. You can add them to the tab list.