Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Configure a Data Query through OLEDB to show only certain contacts

Configure a Data Query through OLEDB to show only certain contacts

Has anyone got any options on this. If I have an access data base query I can select exactly which fields are extracted and have my spreadsheet with only the information I need. Surely there is a way to do this in ACT. If not there should be.

I want a spreadsheet of my contacts to automatically refresh in Excel each time I open it but I have about 14,000 contacts. I only need about 700 of these in my query based on the criteria of a specific field. I know through access database when you perform q data query in Excel you can select which field the search is based on. Does ACT have anything like this?

Please help!!

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Configure a Data Query through OLEDB to show only certain contacts

I believe that Excel requires you to perform something like this using MS Query.  That method requires an ODBC connection, so you cannot use the ACT! OLEDB Reporting Provider.  You could, however, use the ActReader SQL Server account using the password you've established with the ActReader Utility. 

That utility is not yet provided with the product, but plans are to do so sometime soon.  You can contact your ACT! Certified Consultant or Corp. Sales Representative to obtain the utility if you do not already have it.

Hope this helps.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Re: Configure a Data Query through OLEDB to show only certain contacts

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. Can I please just clarify that the ACTReader you mentioned is going to actually be able to do what I want.

I wish to create a new database query in Excel that allows me to select contacts to import based on certain field criteria. So will the ACT Reader Utility allow me to define fields to be shown in the query. Will it also allow me to filter the data based on the Fields ie. If I have 14000 contacts and only 700 of them have information in the cost code field can I just gather those 700 contacts into my spreadsheet?

Sorry to be a pest but I would like to know this is going to be possible before purchasing the Utility as if I cannot do this then it will not be much use to me. It would be so much easier if it was possible to run a query through excel based on a Lookup performed in ACT!

I look forward to any assistance you may be able to provide.

Regards,

Kerrie