Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Client and Opportunity Notes

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Client and Opportunity Notes

Hi All

I have worked out how to create a Client Note, and a Opportunity Note when i creating an Opportunity, my issues are

1) How do you create a Note for the Opportunity while your in the OpportunityDetailView

// Get Current Opportunity
                Opportunity cOpp = ActApplication.Instance.ApplicationState.CurrentOpportunity;

//Set a new Note
                Act.UI.ActApplication.Instance.ActFramework.Notes.CreateNote(noteTypes[0], "TEST", now, false, oOpp);

I thought this code would do it but it does not comes back with an object not set error

And

2) once you create the note is there anyway to open the dialog box for further editing both in the Client Detail View and Opportunity Detail View

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JasonD
‎12-29-2015 12:12 AM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Client and Opportunity Notes

I looked over your code briefly and didn't notice it myself or I would have told you.  The issue is that Opportunities used to be a subentity so GetOpportunityFieldDescriptor works with earlier versions of Act! before Opportunities became a regular entity.  When Opportunities got promoted to a regular entity they didn't want to break existing code so they came up with the Mutable Entity solution.  It is actually a façade and can be used in other ways as well.  Once you become familiar with the Mutable Entity methodology you will probably find it useful.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

Hi anyone able to assist with this, I am at a total dead end?

Copper Super Contributor

Ok i am going to have a winge about this now

I found the solution after 2 days, and its a stupid error BUT what the heck is wrong with the SDK when "GetOpportunityFieldDescriptor" does not actually get the field descriptor, "GetContactFieldDescriptor" does so logic would dictate that "GetOpportunityFieldDescriptor" would work in much the same way..... NO!!! you need to "GetMutableEntityFieldDescriptor" if it was not for some obscure post in this forum from 5 years ago i would still be looking for the dam error

Like serioursly which one of the programers had that particular brain fart?

Ok thats my winge over

Solution
Accepted by topic author JasonD
‎12-29-2015 12:12 AM
Silver Super Contributor

I looked over your code briefly and didn't notice it myself or I would have told you.  The issue is that Opportunities used to be a subentity so GetOpportunityFieldDescriptor works with earlier versions of Act! before Opportunities became a regular entity.  When Opportunities got promoted to a regular entity they didn't want to break existing code so they came up with the Mutable Entity solution.  It is actually a façade and can be used in other ways as well.  Once you become familiar with the Mutable Entity methodology you will probably find it useful.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the developer who wrote the Opportunity section did it in ACT 2010 when opportunities where promoted to a top level entity.

You are going to find A LOT of issues where the naming convention in opportunities don't make sense or match up with the first three entities. 

CurrentContactListChanged

CurrentCompanyListChanged

CurrentGroupListChanged

CurrentOpportunityPresentationChanged   ( Should be CurrentOpportunityListChanged )

CurrentContactList.Sorted

CurrentCompanyList.Sorted

CurrentGroupList.Sorted

CurrentOpportunities.Sorted   ( Should be CurrentOpportunityList.Sorted )

Act.UI.IContactListView

Act.UI.IGroupListView

Act.UI.ICompanyListView

Act.UI.IOpportunityView   ( Should be Act.UI.IOpportunityListView )

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks Stan and Jim

Its was just frustrating!!!!!!! Like Happy Gilmore"You little son of a ... ball! Why you don't you just go HOME? That's your HOME! Are you too good for your HOME?

" to finally find the error, i also did not post the whole code other wise you guys would have seen it then