Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Add Act.Framework DLL's to Visual Studio

Cannot Add Act.Framework DLL's to Visual Studio

So, I am new to this Act! SDK thing, and I am having some significant problems starting off.

I"ve plowed through the SDK documentation and I cannot find any information on adding the necessary Act.Framework.* dll's to my Visual Studio projects. I know the dll's are located in the Global Assembly Cache, and I know where that is located. My problem is that Visual Studio will not let me add any of the Act.Framework dll's to my solutions when I try to 'Add Reference...' -> 'Browse' and then attempt to add any of the Act dll's from the GAC.

What am I doing so flagrantly wrong here? I have the suspicion that I am simply referencing the incorrect dll's, but I cannot seem to find the Act.Framework and other required assemblies in any other location.

Thanks.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot Add Act.Framework DLL's to Visual Studio

Hi artanis0,

Hmmm....try copying the dll's from the ACT! install CD to the ACT installation folder usually in c:\program files etc.

once there you should be able to add them as a ref to your project.

HTH

Vivek

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog

Ok, I'll try this. I just figured this would be a bad idea. If I ever get this working, the application I am going to build needs to be redistributable, and I am not sure If I should (or legally allowed to) bundle the required Act assemblies with my application. I would rather not have my end users copy these files off of the CD.
Bronze Elite Contributor

hi artanis0,

It shoudl be ok with the EULA since they would need a licenced copy of ACT! running on their machine for the framework objects to work against a dB.

Can anyone else with a bit more of a formal understanding of EULA step in and confirm?

Never-the-less that is what I do anyway! Smiley Happy

Vivek

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog

Are any of the Act! SDK Dev's on this forum? Is this really the way I have to do this? This method just doesn't feel right.
Copper Contributor

Hi there,

If you are a VB6 programmer Artanis, then you may like to try my MiddleWare SDK that makes it easy to link to and integrate with ACT by Sage.

It's free and can be downloaded at http://MiddleWareSDK.com

All you need to understand is simple File Handling (Flat ASCII) and Tab Delimited Text files.

There are 38 examples to guide you through it.

Cheers,
Kevin

=================
Kevin Ritch
CRM Solutions, Inc.

=================

Yah kritguy, I already installed your app in my enviroment it and I am a) not seeing the context menus that it's supposed to create in Act! (I am not using Act Pro by the way) and b) the Data Browser of your app doesn't work for me either.
Copper Contributor

Hi Artanis,

Which version of ACT are you running?

MiddleWare SDK is for ACT 2008 / 2009 and up.

Otherwise it won't load.

Feel free to contact me directly too if you like.

Best regards,
Kevin

Nickel Super Contributor

You need to copy the files from the ACT! install media to a folder on your machine and then add the refs from that folder.  Remember to use refs for the oldest version of ACT! you are building for ie. v7 dlls will work for act 7,8,9,10 & 11 , v9 dlls will only work for v9 up etc.

Yah, so I played around with the ACT OLE DB Provider. I am taking this route. So far it is about 5x easier than what I the ACT SDK was showing me and I only need to read in data anyways. Plus, no DLL dependencies!