Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can a standalone .EXE get the current Contact in an open database?

Tuned Listener

Can a standalone .EXE get the current Contact in an open database?

[ Edited ]

I've been trying to get the information on the current Contact Detail view of an open ACT!2009 database, through a standalone .EXE file.

For intance, I's like to get the current Contact GUID from a standalone.

It appears that the ONLY way to get that information is through a Plugin. Is that correct? 

Message Edited by kimkamp on 12-26-2008 12:57 PM
Employee

Re: Can a standalone .EXE get the current Contact in an open database?

Basically, the context of the current contact only exists inside the other process ( I assume ACT!) and, more importantly, within it's instance of the ACT! framework. A process can have multiple active frameworks, although the ACT! executable usually will only have one. So you shouldn't waste time trying to handle that prblem if connecting to ACT! itself. It will always give you your answer in the context of the"correct" primary framework.

I have seen on these boards that someone has an ACT! plugin that communicates with external processes through file drops. I don't know how you feel about that approach, but it is a ready made option. You can also implement your own plugin that does something similar via a different communication mechanism if you are so inclined.

Tim Faust
ACT! R&D