Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

CREATE ACT for Mac Computers Please!

CREATE ACT for Mac Computers Please!

Hello fellow members & Act employees,

Please tell your CEO, to create an ACT version for MAC computers.  I been wanted to use ACT for a while right on my mac computer and not using my Virtual Machine (which is just a pain).

It just makes sense to create an Act version for Mac.  Take a look at the numbers as more and more people are using MAC computers and there is no real good database solution that is as good as ACT for windows out there.  And not to mention, take a look at how good Apple is doing in our bad economy.  While most companies are losing money, Apple is reporting and increase in profits.  

So please ACT, start to work on an ACT version or at least get a Beta version going for MAC computers.  Trust me, you will do well as I'm know I'm not the only one that wants an act version for their Macs!

Thanks for your time and reading this.

Sincerely,

Nelson 

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: CREATE ACT for Mac Computers Please!

Hi Nelson,

Unfortunately I don't see this happening anytime soon (although I'd love to be proved wrong Smiley Happy ), the reason being is ACT! is built using Microsoft components which will not run on a Mac; to make it work on a Mac would mean re-writing the whole program to use a new db engine and programming language.  I don't know if you were around for ACT! 7 but that was a good example fo what can happen in these situations.

Tom

Nickel Elite Contributor

Not suprisingly we're getting this request more and more often.

We are looking onto porting technologies like DarWine for MAC that would allow us to run the existing code base on a Mac natively (no virtualization). 

Anyone have any experience with this (or Wine for Linux)?

Hi there,

Great, I hope to see this happen sooner than later.   As Act is really leaving a lot of money on table by not having a verison for Mac.  As it will be well worth all the effort to creating a Mac verison as I know your make a good profit.

So once again I really hope to see a Mac verison soon.  Please let me know as my business really needs act for mac!!!

Thanks again!

Nelson

Tuned Listener

Have you investigate MONO, the open source .NET implementation?

Bigger issue is probably having to change to a different database.

Wine implementations tend to work, but take a performance hit.  Not sure you could get SQL Server to run on it, have never heard of anyone succeeding.

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource
Binary Star Technology, Inc
Avid Listener

My boss has Mac too & wanted use ACT, so I installed to Mac Paralled Desktop, install Windows XP and deployed ACT! there. so, now he use Mac and all it benefits, and when he want to use ACT, he run Parallel Desktop.

My apple laptop had to replaced and my only option was to use vista on my new mac to run act.  It was very complicated to transfer my old ACT 2.8 for MAc contacts and I have over 3,000 with years of notes and history.

I finally got it on the computer but I have had to learn windows and it is complicated.  And VMWare.

Also it is really costly to have to do this, i had to buy three software programs, ACT, Vista, and VMWare. 

I know so many people who run act 2.8 for mac and are freeking out because if their computer goes, they do not know what to do.  they are not very computer literate. 

I heard yesterday from someone that you are coming out with an ACT versio for MAc, please tell e it is true 

Yes please tell us if a Mac verison is coming soon.  As I do have vmare (where you an use windos on your mac) but its too much of a pain and takes a long time and really slows down the computer to switch back and fort from ACT to my Mac.

The only souliton is to creat a verison for the mac or even better one that is based online, where all you need is internet access and you can use it anywhere.

But, I know ACT is leaving a lot of money on the table by not being able to go after people with MAC's as if they had act for mac's, I know so many people that would get ACT right away, as they are one of the best for database and espeically customizing it too.

I really hope the CEO reads all this.

Take care!

Allen, 

Tell your engineering team that we would gladly build a Mac version of Act for them.

We have been creating Mac apps since 1996.

Best,

Darren Tessitore

Heynow Software

www.Heynow.com

For everyone of us who actually takes the time to write in (like me)...imagine the amount of people who would switch immediately from Daylite, NUTD, Contactizer, etc.. that are knock-off of the real thing (ACT!).

In this economy when people are clamoring for market-share and growth. A bit of R&D and you could have a HUGE boom in sales from a whole lot of switchers in the business world.

Big boost!