Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

CREATE ACT for Mac Computers Please!

Highlighted

Re: CREATE ACT for Mac Computers Please!

I was looking for information and comments about the new Mac version of Office 2011, when I happened on this forum and topic by chance.

My name should have been at the top of this list because I wrote the same thing back in 2001 in an email to Sage when they took over the ACT application.

I had been using ACT for Mac since the early '90s on my first computer, an SE-30.

For the first time in my life, I was able to keep track of appointments and contacts. Believe me when I say that this was a huge deal for me. I had always struggled with notes on little pieces of paper that were all over the place. It was almost impossible for me to keep track and I lost out on many things because I couldn't stay organized. It was really bad.

I was amazed how easy it was, using ACT on the SE-30, to get my life together. I was able to track everything that I did, appointments, calls, letters, emails, followups, everything was right there, easy to look up.

Not being a touch typist, I really appreciated ACT's drop down menus that allowed me to enter so much of my info with a minimal amount of typing. 

Nothing that I have found since, has come even close to affording ACT's effectiveness and simplicity.

I kept using ACT through a number of computer and operating system upgrades, until OS 9 was replaced by OS X. 

At that point, I was forced to find a replacement and after trying Apple's iCal and Mail and several other PIM applications, I finally settled on Entourage. Entourage seemed to be the closest that I could come to ACT, but even now, many years later, I still miss the easy simplicity of the original ACT for Mac.

As others have said in this thread, I would run, not walk to obtain a new version of ACT for Mac, should you ever decide to replicate that wonderful application.

So, please add my "new" request for a Mac version of ACT or as the original poster put it, "I been wanted to use ACT for a while right on my mac computer and not using my Virtual Machine (which is just a pain)."

Being new to this forum, I don't know if there's a built-in alert when a new post to a topic is made, so I'd appreciate hearing about any news regarding ACT for Mac.

Thanks for your thoughts,
GeneL

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL  

BTW, I still have my original ACT for Mac CD in its case sitting on my desk. Smiley Happy

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Create ACT! for Mac! The name even sounds great.

I've had ACT! in my business since the the early 90s and now we're moving to an all Mac agency. For the amount of time I've spent on my own and with a Daylite consultant  trying to get our data into Daylite I could have paid a developer to replicate ACT! for the Mac. (Well, maybe not, but I'm hopeful you get my point.)

C'mom Sage: Help us out. I'm betting I'm not the only ACT! user / business owner out here who would be willing to throw in a few hundred/even a couple thousand bucks to help you develop/convert the product for Macs.

Oh! If you take us up on that offer -- we would want a *significant* discount when the Mac version is released.

The sooner the better. 

Donna B.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

nice.. i have been looking for a mac replacement and even started to think of writing it myself, but Daylite might just be enough.. thanks for pointing that one out

Ozie: I found a great consultant if you need any help. (Just not DAylite is quite customizable enough for my biz needs.)

Sage programers cant do it, They even removed macros from Act originally made by Symantec.

Copper Super Contributor

maybe some of us Obj-C programmers should get together

I am hoping to use my macbook pro and use act and it's unfortunate Act is not available for mac even these days. I use a pc for work and i do not like it... trying not to use the word "hate."

It is disappointing that act is not available...... when will it be available? I use msft office for mac and very happy with it. why can't sage offer act for mac??????

Wow - definately add my voice to this wish... I have used ACT! for Windows since Pat Sullivan marketed it way back when. It is without question the best contact manager out there (although some of those versions were real dogs!)  I now use a Macbook pro.  Using Act under Windows in Parallels is workable but a pain and does slow everything down. PLEASE do consider porting this excellent application to Mac!

Copper Contributor

I have been searching the web for 2 months for a Mac CRM. The best "google' option is Daylite.  I say "best google option " as I truly believe that the folks who sell Daylite have been really good at flushing anything negative by keeping it at the bottom of the google list.  ie. the same techniques used by wired communications experts during the Gulf accident.  Many people do not like Daylite...but I can't seem to find that info that easily.  Software saturation is a horse race, and Daylite has the best chance of long term success...but sales people can't win the race as they typically like to fail large,  and not fail small.

I still need Win 7, as I run Quickbooks for Contractors.  I am a typical small business man, and even Mac agrees with me...there is no serious solution offered on Mac for small business accounting / estimating packages which I need to do my job.  Hence,  I need Parallels and Win 7 anyway .

It  looks like they do have a robust data mapping technique, but I'm not sure how well Daylite's handling of Groups works, since they seem to not be able to handle sub-groups "directly", but  they say they can preserve the hierarchy some how.

Filmaker Pro has the platform in which to build a robust system on a mac.  Someone needs to spend the time to take a shareware template and make it commercial.

My personal decision (sorry, attempt) will be to run Act 2011 on Mac with Parallels with Win 7.  I'm not going to Act up and jump ship yet...as I do not enjoy "bleeding edge" technology and costly data conversion from a vanilla Act 2008  V10 to Daylite.  Others have done what I am going to do with Parallels, and it appears to work.  HOWEVER, I'm not sure how Outlook for Mac 2008 will handle accessing Parallels Win 7 Act 2011.  My gut feeling is that I will need to install Office 2007 for Windows on the Mac to make the integration work.

That is my plan.  Hope this helps any small business person who uses Quickbooks and Act and is looking to go to the Mac environment..  However, my plan is only for 1 to 2 years.  I can change and re-eval every few months.

So, Act...snooze or lose.  Your firm seems to be run by accountants plus technical people who are limited in the current coding and architectural vision.  Your tech support model is horrid.  You do not want to go through Polaroid's painful experience of very late re-invention...

I want to chime in saying that my company had used Act for 13 years and we had to abandon it this year when we switched to an all mac shop.  We miss it. I was just checking into Sage today to see if there was any progress on the mac development. With the apple market share becoming so large it seems the ROI would be there to develop a mac version now, before someone finally develops a mac CRM that takes the market share.  We would go back to Act in a heartbeat if there was a mac version.