Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup Removes my file???

Copper Super Contributor

Backup Removes my file???

Hello,

I have an xml file I have saved in the layouts folder of my ACT! database that is needed for one of my plugins to run. WHen I backup the database to move it, when I restore it that file is gone, same if I save the file in the templates folder. Any thoughts to make it stick??

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Backup Removes my file???

[ Edited ]

what happens if the file is in the users roaming directory?? wonder if that gets backed up or not

ie C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT Data

what about saving the file in the layout folder but naming the extention as a layout not xml (cly or something) 

Employee

[ Edited ]

I tested this on my end and it will not retain files in the layout folder that are not layouts, however the attachments folder works just fine.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Super Contributor

Yah I guess I will just use the attachements folder to store the preferences for my addon that is database specific. Thanks.

Bronze Super Contributor

You may want to test the attachment folder a little more. I remember that the ACT! database reindex or repair tool removes any files in this folder not attached to a specific record.  I caught me on an earlier version of one of our addons thinking the attachments folder was a safe haven Smiley Sad

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Super Contributor

Where do you keep preferences that are database specific? I am nervous to use the attachements now...

Bronze Super Contributor

I place all my database specific preferences files into a folder I create in the "DBNAME-database files\Durkin"
( also referred to as the supplemental folder) 

Then I create a zipped copy of that folder into the "DBNAME-database files\Backup" folder for backing up AND
a copy into the "DBNAME-database files\Layouts" folder for remote DB syncs. I do the zip function when the users exits our About/Preference forms.

I have found that you cannot trust the methodology of backing the supplemental folder against the methodology in syncing to a remote. That is why I have two zip files, one for each purpose.

When the user restores a DB and two condition exits, 1) there is not a "Durkin" folder and 2) there is a Durkin.zip file in the backup folder I extract our preferences from the zipped folder back into "DBNAME-database files\Durkin" .

Hope this helps
-- Jim Durkin

Copper Super Contributor

That does help very much. Thanks.