Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

BUG: clearing and erasing recurring ACT! Activities

Astute Commentator

BUG: clearing and erasing recurring ACT! Activities

I just found something interesting.

1- Create a recurring activity

2- Clear an instance of the recurring activity.

3- The recurring activity still exists but the instance is cleared.

4- Erase the recurring activity, including the series.

5- BUG: the cleared instance does not get erased and cannot get deleted via the interface.

So you have a cleared recurring activity instance that cannot be removed from ACT!.

Has this been fixed on 2010?

T

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: BUG: clearing and erasing recurring ACT! Activities

I need to check on this but this might be functionality as designed.  

A recurring Activity is like a plan to do a specific task over some set frequency over the future.    When you clear an activity instance in a series - you have completed one of the tasks planned - thus a History record is created for that instance.  We keep that Activity record as well as the new history record for that completed activity instance in a recurring activity (it looks like we keep the Activity instance so we can display completed activities in Calendar view, it's that crossed out Activity - I'm just guessing that's why we keep the activity record).  

The instance of the activity has been completed and modification of the recurring series should no longer affect that one activity - it's not planned it's history!

Is your specific concern that the record remains in the activity table?  Most of the rest of our UI around time/interaction management excludes completed activities (they're treated like histories) - so it shouldn't really surface in the app as a confusion point.  

Astute Commentator

This issue also exists in ACT! 2010. After you erased the Recuring Activity Series, go to the Tasks and list all the "Cleared Activities". The cleared activity still exists there (and it is recurring). If you try to delete that cleared activity, it does not clear. You get an error.

Clearing an instance of a recurring activity should not generate a new cleared activity with the same recurring pattern that cannot be deleted. Also, erasing the recurring pattern should erase the cleared activity as well. At the moment that is not the behaviour.

From what I've seen from ACT! databases we've converted, the cleared recurring activities can't be removed from the database and hang around. I'm not sure that is what you want to happen.

Not sure what the solution for this is....

Nickel Elite Contributor

Your observations are correct, but I believe this was designed to behave this way.  Cleared activities are treated differently than scheduled activities within the applicaiton.  Whenb you erase an activity (regardless of occurence) the activity record is NOT deleted from the Activity table.  The isdeleted field is updated to indicate that scheduled activity (instance  or recurrance) is erased. 

The reason cleared activities do not take this flag is that a cleared activity is treated as a "completed" activity - meaning that activity instance was accomplished.  Marking completed activities as erased would exclude those items from reports and UI allowing a user to see what they completed versus what is still scheduled (or removed from the schedule in the case of erase).

I'm not understanding what part of the functionality you're identifying for change.  We could remove all items from Activities entity that aren't scheduled activities (a completed activity already gets a history record), but the product has evolved this way over time and a lot of UI is tied to this.  Is there some part of the SDK that you are finding this is an issue with?

Astute Commentator

Allen,

Thank you  for the quick response.

This issue caused quite some havoc on my application.The application was not expecting to see the same activity being Active and being cleared at the same time. This resulted on a few unexpected results. In addition the activity cannot be deleted from ACT!. When I try to remove that activity using the UI, I get the message:

"This activity has been deleted by it organizer. It cannot be uncleared"

So even the UI is having some consistency issues with Cleared Recurring Activities.

What should happen with a Cleared Recurring Activity when the recurring series is Erased?  Currently, the Cleared Recuring Activity is relegated to a no-man's land and cannot be removed either programatically or via the UI. I do not think that is the proper behaviour. If the user erases the Series, the cleared activity should be removed as well.

Another issue that I am having is the .IsRecurringEvent is not working properly for the Activity Object. You can receive a false return on the call but the Activity.RecurPeriod.ToString provides the recurring event's period. So something is not right on that object.

Allen, again, thanx for the quick response.

T

Nickel Elite Contributor

I understand what you're saying.  I'm not entirely sure why we keep any cleared activities in the activity table at all as these should be marked in the history table (where they are already redundantly stored) as completed activities.  I'll add a feature request to the system to do as you are suggesting and see what kind of technical response we get from the team.

Thanks for the input I can see where this would be frustrating.

Also - I wasn't aware of the .IsRecurringEvent not returning information correctly - Do you have any more input on that so I can create a defect or have you already reported this?

Thanks again,

Copper Contributor

I'm not sure if this information will help but I made the mistake of running the following when advised to do so by ACT Support.

Tools - Database Maintenance - Remove Old Data... - checked the box next to - Cleared activities older then...

This erased ALL  "Cleared Activities" on the Activity Tab AND ALL listing of those Cleared Activities on the Calendar(NOT GOOD for us...we use that a lot) so all of the grayed checked activities were GONE.

Im not sure if "Remove Old Data" will help your issue just run a backup BEFORE doing it. That is what saved us, now I just unchecked "Show Cleared" from the Options menu on the Activity Tab.

Thank you,
Ann
Astute Commentator

Thanx for the info. I had a customer that did that and I would not recommend it. You shouldn't have to delete all your old cleared recurring (and non-recurring) appointments because of an issue with the interface. This is an issue and I hope it will fixed on the next hotfix. This issue exists in ACT! 2007 and beyond (most likely it has been around since ACT! 2005). I'm glad I'm not the only one encountering this.

"This activity has been deleted by it organizer. It cannot be uncleared" 

Thanks for the prior posts on this BUG!  It's nice to now know that I am not the only person that  this issue has caused havoc on.   Most recently I have seen this issue occur if you extend/edit a recurring appointment.  It results in past multiple daily cleared entries extended out to the date you extended it too. 

I would like to see this issue fixed but until that happens I guess the "options" route is the only thing to do.

Copper Contributor

I'm experiencing this proble for the 2nd time. I have a few recurring activities, birthdays and the like, but somehow I have duplicates and when I try to delete them via the task list, they just reappear with later dates on them.

For example, I have 6 seperate recurring activities that I want to delete. I highlight ALL of them, click erase, confirm, then they all simply reappear with later dates. I want to get rid of them completle because they are triggering alarms in my iPhone and that's become really annoying.

Anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks,

Dan