Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attach Excel document to Contact in PlugIn

Copper Contributor

Attach Excel document to Contact in PlugIn

Hi,

I would like to be able to attach an Excel file to the Documents tab of a contact.  I have the plugin interface working, but can't figure out the ACT object model to accomplish the subject task.

Thank you for your assistance,

John

Employee

Re: Attach Excel document to Contact in PlugIn

[ Edited ]

Hello collabex,

Below is a bit of code that creates a history item and attaches it to an opportunity. Attachments on the document tabs are history items of type Library Document, I think that's the biggest bit of confusion in regards to attachments.

OpportunityList ol = ActApp.ApplicationState.CurrentOpportunities;
Opportunity o = ol[0];
History h = ActApp.ActFramework.Histories.CreateHistory();
string filePath = @"D:\Images\Sage_Logo.gif";
Act.Framework.SupplementalFiles.Attachment att =
                    ActApp.ActFramework.SupplementalFileManager.CreateAttachment(AttachmentMate.History, filePath, "This File"false);
HistoryType ht = ActApp.ActFramework.Histories.GetHistoryType("Library Document");
h.OpportunityList = ol;
h.CreateUserID = ActApp.ActFramework.Contacts.GetMyRecord().ID;
h.HistoryType = ht;
h.Regarding = "Test";
h.Details = "";
h.StartTime = System.DateTime.Now;
h.EndTime = System.DateTime.Now.AddDays(2);
h.ManageUserID = ActApp.ActFramework.Contacts.GetMyRecord().ID;
h.Update();

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your quick response.

Can you briefly explain what each of the lines of code is doing?  You create an ht object, but then never reference it - why?  I see the CList object is created referencing the CurrentContact, but again it is never referenced again - why?

Thanks,

John

Employee

[ Edited ]

I didn't really look through it much before posting it and for that I apologize. My code often has remanents left over from testing similar issues (or very disimilar in this case). I read the name of my method, ctrl+c, ctrl+v...

I'm sorry if this has caused you any confusion, I've updated my post above with something that does create a document for an opportunity, modifying it to work with contacts is pretty straightforward, but if you have any issues with it then please feel free to post them here.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

OK,

I got the code working to add a document shortcut to the current contact, which is below:

// Private Variables
private ActApplication _Application;
private ActFramework _ActFramework;
private ActApplicationState _ActApplicationState;

private void CreateDocumentShortcutForCurrentContact(string filePath, string displayName) {
    try {
        Attachment MyAttachment = _ActFramework.SupplementalFileManager.CreateShortcutAttachment(AttachmentMate.History, filePath, displayName, false);
        HistoryType MyLibraryDocument = _ActFramework.Histories.GetHistoryType("Library Document");
        Contact MyRecord = _ActFramework.Contacts.GetMyRecord();
        History MyHistory = _ActFramework.Histories.CreateHistory(_CurrentContact, MyRecord.ID, MyLibraryDocument, false, DateTime.Now, DateTime.Now, "", "", MyAttachment);
    }
    catch (Exception Ex) {
        ExceptionHandler(Ex);
    }
}      

Any comments on my code are welcome. 

Now I'm trying to figure out how to see if a shortcut to a file already exists to avoid duplicates.  How do I get this informatiion out of the current contact?

Thank you for the help,

John

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi John,

There are a couple of ways to go abouts doing this, but both involve using the overloaded HistoryManager.GetHistories().

1. Get a HistoryList for the Contact and itterate through each history using an if statement on the HistoryType for each History object

2. Create a InFilter object to get only the Library history items for that Contact.

Approach 2 would seem the most logical way forward but doing IFilterCriteria is really tedious in the SDK!

ACT! SDK rule of thumb - always look at the entity manager class to see if there is a general method for what you are trying to do.

HTH

P.S. if you use the .GetHistories(HistorySortCriteria[], Contact) overload you can set the sortcriteria object to null so you just pass in null and the myContact object.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Copper Contributor

Hi,

I've written a little method to find out whether or not a shortcut already exists on a contact or not, which is below:

private bool DocumentShortcutExistsForContact(string filePath, Contact contact) {
            bool Value = false;

try {
                HistoryList MyHistoryList = _ActFramework.Histories.GetDocuments(contact.ID);

int HistoryCount = MyHistoryList.Count;
                if (HistoryCount > 0) {
                    HistoryType MyLibraryDocument = _ActFramework.Histories.GetHistoryType("Library Document");
                    for (int i = 0; i < HistoryCount; i++) {
                        History MyHistory = MyHistoryList[i];
                        if (MyHistory.HistoryType == MyLibraryDocument) {
                            if (MyHistoryList[i].AttachmentFileName == filePath) {
                                Value = true;
                                break;
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }

}
            catch (Exception Ex) {
                ExceptionHandler(Ex);
            }

return Value;
        }

When it hits this line:

History MyHistory = MyHistoryList[i];

I get the exception below:

System.ArgumentException was caught
  Message=Parameter USERID failed set its value to type String.
  Source=Act.Data
  StackTrace:
       at Act.Data.Parameter.set_Value(Object value)
       at Act.Framework.Histories.HistoryManagerDB.get_DataFetchCommand()
       at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.BaseManagerDB.GetDataRange(Guid[] keys)
       at Act.Shared.Collections.DataList`1.FetchDataRange(Guid[] newKeys)
       at Act.Shared.Collections.DataList`1.GetData(Guid key, Int32 index, Boolean isEnumeration)
       at Act.Shared.Collections.DataList`1.System.Collections.Generic.IList<T>.get_Item(Int32 index)
       at Act.Shared.Collections.DataList`1.System.Collections.IList.get_Item(Int32 index)
       at Act.Framework.Histories.HistoryList.get_Item(Int32 index)
       at CopingSystems.SF2ACT.CurrentContactPlugin.DocumentShortcutExistsForContact(String filePath, Contact contact) in C:\CopingS\Development\SF2ACT\CurrentContactPlugin.cs:line 359
  InnerException:

Any suggestions on why this is happening?

Thanks,

John

Silver Super Contributor

I think there is a bug in that method.  If you substitute this line:

HistoryList MyHistoryList = _ActFramework.Histories.GetHistories(null,contact);

for this line:

HistoryList MyHistoryList = _ActFramework.Histories.GetDocuments(contact.ID);

your code should work.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Silver Super Contributor

Actually you're going to have to use the AttachmentDisplayName instead of the AttachmentFilename or you will have to resolve the lnk file that is in the AttachmentFilename.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Employee

I'm not sure there's a bug here, I tested this in 14.1 SP1 with this:

private void GetDocuments()
        {
            Contact c = ActApp.ApplicationState.CurrentContact;
            HistoryList myHList = ActApp.ActFramework.Histories.GetDocuments(c.ID);
            HistoryList myAltHList = ActApp.ActFramework.Histories.GetHistories(null, c);

String results = "GetDocuments: " + myHList.Count.ToString() +
                Environment.NewLine + "GetHistories: " + myAltHList.Count.ToString();
            MessageBox.Show(results);
        }

Both returned the correct number of history items, but it certainly can't hurt trying Stan's method admittedly this could have been an issue with a prior release that I'm just not aware of. What version are you running this against?

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator