Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Associating Notes Wtih Opportunities

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Associating Notes Wtih Opportunities

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I'm trying to figure out a way that I can gernerate an opportunity report which includes notes on meetings/calls/etc. I've determined that SAP's Crystal Reports in the product to use, but I still have one last problem I can't seem to figure out. While in ACT! (2011 Premium),  while in a specific opporunity, when a 'Note' is created, I guess it is not associated with that opportunity but rather with a contact instead? I found the following snippet of code from another thread which I beleive will asociate a note with the individual opportunity, but I'm not sure how to procced with implementing it:

OpportunityList ol = _ActApp.ActFramework.Opportunities.GetOpportunityAsOpportunityList(_ActAp    p.ApplicationState.CurrentOpportunity);
DateTime now = DateTime.Now;
NoteType[] noteTypes = this._ActApp.ActFramework.Notes.GetNoteTypes();
ContactList c = _ActApp.ActFramework.Contacts.GetContactAsContactList(_ActApp.ActFramework.Contacts.GetMyRecord());
_ActApp.ActFramework.Notes.CreateNote(noteTypes[0], "TEST", now,
    false, c, null, null, ol, null, c[0].ID, c[0].ID);

I'm running Visiaul Studio 10, and I've got the ACT SDK, but the documentation seems to be very cumbersomr. Could someone point me in the right direction as to where I should start with trying to get this code implented? Thanks a ton for any help/guidance!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author danmcq
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Re: Associating Notes Wtih Opportunities

Hello danmcq,

A contact shouldn't be required to create a note for an opportunity, this became the case as of the 2010 version where opportunities were no longer a subentitiy of contacts, but instead a top level entitiy along with them. At a glance I can't be certain which overload for the CreateNote method is being used, but regardless it should accept a null value in lieu of a ContactList as well.

I'm not clear on how this relates to the report you'd like to create. With Crystal, you can utiliize the oledb to query against and generate a note based report.

Below is a link to the white pages on the data access methods in Act, hopefully this document can help to alleviate confusion. As always if you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

http://download.act.com/act2010/docs/ACT!_2010_Reporting_and_Data_Access_Whitepaper.pdf

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author danmcq
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Hello danmcq,

A contact shouldn't be required to create a note for an opportunity, this became the case as of the 2010 version where opportunities were no longer a subentitiy of contacts, but instead a top level entitiy along with them. At a glance I can't be certain which overload for the CreateNote method is being used, but regardless it should accept a null value in lieu of a ContactList as well.

I'm not clear on how this relates to the report you'd like to create. With Crystal, you can utiliize the oledb to query against and generate a note based report.

Below is a link to the white pages on the data access methods in Act, hopefully this document can help to alleviate confusion. As always if you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

http://download.act.com/act2010/docs/ACT!_2010_Reporting_and_Data_Access_Whitepaper.pdf

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Matt,

Thanks for the prompt response! After reading over the data access whitepaper I realized that I had to correct the way my tables were linked in crystal reports. I believe I am now able to generate the reports I want. Thanks again.

-Dan