Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Act.Shared.LicProv

Astute Commentator

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Act.Shared.LicProv

Trying to login to Act 21 that I just installed. Very simple code:

Dim ACTFM As Act.Framework.ActFramework
            ACTFM = New Act.Framework.ActFramework
            ACTFM.LogOn("C:\Users\Public\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\ACT2019Demo.pad", "Chris Huffman", "")

And I get the "An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Act.Shared.LicProv"

Act! opens the database fine but when opening the database programmatically, the error occurs. 
Just installed Act! 21 and the build is Act! Premium Version 21.0.295.0, Update 3

Any clues on how to fix this? It works fine on all previous versions of Act!.

Thank you in advance.

Re: An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Act.Shared.LicProv

@Thatch2 - I didn't read your whole post and it looks like you have the same issue. Hope my details in my post (unable to debug...) help. I've spent all day on this.

John

Copper Contributor

Re: An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in Act.Shared.LicProv

We are having the same issue over here, running Act! v21 with no updates works fine but if you are on Update 2 or higher i believe that's when it stops working, seems to be related to the new licensing model as that was the update that broke it. Able to build plugins that work just fine but not able to debug which is making development difficult. Hopefully Act! can weigh in on this.

Gary Robillard

Corelogix Corporation

gary@corelogix.ca

Astute Commentator

Is there a way to get Act 21 without the updates so that it can be debugged properly? OR even better, ANYONE at Swiftpage that can give us an update on this. I've got quite a few customers that are pending on this working.

Copper Contributor

Hi  Thatch2,

you can uninstall Act! 21 and then reinstall it.

Before you run the Setup again, open the explorer with "Alt+R" type in %AppData% then press enter.

Delete the act2100updateXXX.exe file.

Now run Act! setup.

While the setup messsage ("... attach Demo database...") appears, you'll see that the setup is downloading the current update file again in the %appdata% folder. Delete it again, so that the setup is not able to run it in the end of the setup routine.

Now you should have an Act! 21.0 without any update on you computer. But what should we do when the demo mode ends and the Protexis server are down?

The new version of the Act.Shared.LicProvider.dll is so hard obfuscated that the .Net CLR is not able to load it properly when it runs in debug mode.

Should nobody develop Add-ons for Act! anymore?

Best regards

Robert

Melville-Schellmann
Consulting and Development for CRM-Software
Astute Commentator

Thank you. I'll give the install a try. 

The error in  Act.Shared.LicProvider.dll also comes up in Runtime mode. So no matter what mode, when accessing Act!, the software will crash.

As for "Should nobody develop Add-ons for Act! anymore?", I thought it many times. However, I have a lot of customers that depend on my software and when my software is not working, it causes a major impact to them. Some of them become legally liable due to improper customer tracking. So this is MAJOR. 

As a developer, I just can't understand how to develop an SDK which does not allow developers to basically login to the application. It is beyond me......

Thanx for the help.

T

I'm going to put this together myself right now and see if I can replicate.  I'm on the case, though.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com

[ Edited ]

I can replicate.  I'm passing this over to DEV/QA.

Do any of you see an empty assembly folder named v4.0_21.1.18.0__ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa when looking at your .net assemblies at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Act.Framework ?

I believe this might be the culprit.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com
Administrator

We are aware of the issue and it's caused by the new obfuscation in place on the licensing dll, we are working on a fix but at this time we don't have one other then work on update 1.  We are able to reproduce as well.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi Billy,

there is the act.famework.dll is in this folder. It is not empty.

When you look at the referred assemblies in the Act.Shared.LicProvider.dll with this function:

Sub Main()
    Dim sAssemblyFile As String
    Dim oAsssembly As System.Reflection.Assembly
    Dim oRefAssembly As System.Reflection.AssemblyName

sAssemblyFile = "E:\ACT!\ACT! 21\act2100update4\Act.Shared.LicProvider.dll"
    oAsssembly = System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(sAssemblyFile)

For Each oRefAssembly In oAsssembly.GetReferencedAssemblies()
      Console.WriteLine(oRefAssembly.ToString)
    Next
    Console.ReadLine()
  End Sub

you'll get this assembly list:

mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Act.Shared.Diagnostics, Version=21.0.295.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa
System.ServiceProcess, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
Act.Shared.Windows.Forms, Version=21.0.295.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa
Act.Shared.Licensing, Version=21.0.295.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa
QlmLicenseLib, Version=11.1.18326.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9c65e32c060523a1
System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
OkrkxjnnQxmcdgQWvfeTewxaLMqKA, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa
Act.Shared.Win32, Version=21.0.295.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa
Act.Shared.Localization, Version=21.0.295.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa
System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

May be the "OkrkxjnnQxmcdgQWvfeTewxaLMqKA" assembly is to "tricky".

Best regards

Robert

Melville-Schellmann
Consulting and Development for CRM-Software