Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act for Web SDK Code Samples

Copper Contributor

Act for Web SDK Code Samples

by ACTwiz on 10-11-2007 9:55 AM

I have looked around and I cant seem to find any Examples that explain the basic of how the Act for web SDK works.

What would I like to know how to do??? For starters

What is the plugin for APFW, is it a DLL like Act Premium, or is it a ASPX file placed in a certian place etc..

how do you access the UI stuff, I assume this is nothing like the UI for windows.

I would like to have a menu item in APFW that takes the current look up and does something with it then presents the users with messages, like, "all done" etc..

so any one have any suggestions where to look or how to do this?

Jeremy Wesley
ActWiz
Copper Contributor

Re: Act for Web SDK Code Samples

by Xavier on 10-12-2007 4:12 PM

You should be able find help and sample references here:

http://www.act.com/partners/addonpartners/sdk/index.cfm

In the Code Samples > Supplemental Samples, there's several areas that ought to help you:

• The "Customizing ACT! Premium for Web" topic gives a general overview of customizing APFW.
  • The "About adding plug-ins" topic give general steps for implementing an APFW plugin.
  • The "Editing the menu" topic discusses editing menus in APFW specifically.
Copper Contributor

by ACTwiz on 10-16-2007 2:38 PM

Thanks Xavier! Thats exaclty what I needed.

Jeremy Wesley
ActWiz
Copper Contributor

by ACTwiz on 10-17-2007 2:12 PM

Xavier,After taking the time to read thru the APFW specific documentation, and trying to implement the SamplePlugin, I find there are several things that are not very clear and need more explanation as I could not get it to run with the provided documentation.

For starters the Solution references 3 ACT.Web.*.Dlls but I could not locate the ACT.WEB.PLUGINS.dll anywhere in ACT for web 2008 install files. The solution compiled but is this reference unnecessary?

Second, Step 4 instructs to put the Dll in the plugins folder, I assume this is the same plugin that we normally put Windows based plugins in? Just making sure. C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\Plugins\

Third, Step 5 references a Content folder, I searched and was only able to find 1 content folder in the C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\ directory structure, and its path is under help C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW\WebHelp\Content,, I really don’t think this is where the page codes go. Were you referring to the C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW as being the content folder? Placing the files here did not work nor did creating a content folder in this folder.I reset IIS after each change and the tab never showed up.I look forward to your thoughts on why this doesn’t work.Thanks

Jeremy Wesley
ActWiz
Copper Contributor

by ACTwiz on 10-24-2007 12:29 PM

After wasting several hours trying things here are some answers to some of my own questions. This Documentation needs to be updated as it is very unclear.

Answer to Q #2 you put the DLL in the Path C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW\Plugins   - this folder DOES NOT ALREADY EXIST YOU HAVE TO CREATE IT.

Answer to Q #3 Inside C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW\Plugins you create a "Content" Folder - this folder DOES NOT ALREADY EXIST YOU HAVE TO CREATE IT.  So you end up putting all the sample files in the dir C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW\Plugins\Content\SamplePlugin
Once you do all that, the plugin’s tabs and menus should show up, I'm seeing the tabs but the code on the  pages is not running just yet.

Jeremy Wesley
ActWiz
Copper Contributor

by ACTwiz on 10-24-2007 2:05 PM

Well it’s been a productive morning, I finally have the sample APFW plug in working, although I must say the weather plug in is not as pretty as I remember it at insights 2006 when Brandon Balsley demoed this prior to APFW 9’s release.

So for those out there that want to actually get the APFW sample plug in working here is the last bit of information you need.

If you haven’t read the post directly above this, please read it first as you still have to do all that.. Once you have done all that….

The answer to Q2 needs a tweak.
You also have to place the SamplePlugin.dll in the C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW\Bin directory or you will get error about the namespace. (ie Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'SamplePluginContent.foo'.)

I think..You might not have to do this with a dll that you develop, if you develop the ACT SDK and the ASPX pages in separate projects, but you would have to put the DLL for the SDK ui stuff in the APFW/plugins folder, and the dll for your Pages code in the APFW/bin dir, but I could be wrong…

By placing the dll in this dir was the only way I could get the pages to run, if someone else cares to share a little and tell me otherwise, I will be happy to listen.

Jeremy Wesley
ActWiz
Copper Contributor

by Andy on 12-03-2007 2:36 PM

Jeremy,

Thank you very much for sharing your notes and experience with getting this plugin to work.  I have updated the Help topic to be more specific about folder and file locations for the next update.

-Andy

Copper Contributor

by ACTwiz on 12-06-2007 4:22 PM

Many of you may remember this samples from insights 2006, Brandon Balsley
Demoed it in one of the sessions.

After Spending too much time trying to figure out the APFW Sample Plug-in
works, I figured many non-developers out there would like to see and use the
Sample Plug-in as it does have some useful features, mostly candy..

So I made an install for it. I have not changed the code, this is SAGES
EXAMPLE code, so use at your own risk. The only thing I did was compile it,
and make it a package you can actually install and use. If you want the
source code, get it from the SDK. I offer no support for this install, but
you can email me with questions.

This Plug-in only works for ACT! for web 9.01 and ACT! for web 10.0. There
is no Web plug-in support for ACT! 8 so there is no install for ACT! 8.

For some reason the build against the ACT 9.01 dlls will not work correctly
in the ACT 10 so I have created 2 installs.

Here are the links.

ACT! for WEB Samples SDK plug-in for 9.01

http://www.actwiz.com/actwiz/APFWSamplePlugin9.zip

ACT! for WEB Samples SDK plug-in for 10.0

http://www.actwiz.com/actwiz/APFWSamplePlugin10.zip

enjoy!
Jeremy Wesley
RTG ACT! Hosting
www.jeremywesley.com