Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Web (APFW) API Documentation?

Act Web (APFW) API Documentation?

I find myself at a loss trying to adapt my desktop-based plugin to Act for Web.  Is there a good reference to what can be done with it, from the server-side API to Javascript hooks in the browser?

I found mentions on the forums about the Act.Web.Framework namespace for the API, which I didn't know about because that entire namespace is missing from the API help file that came with the Act 2012 SDK.  I found the namespace in the Act 2011 SDK, but most entries (classes, methods, properties, etc.) have no documentation.  If I'm lucky, the methods have descriptive parameter names, but that's not always the case.  The only information about interacting with Act's Javascript has been on the forums and usually in the form of, "I need to do X," "Try this Javascript snippet," "That works; thanks."  I haven't found any general-purpose documentation about a Javascript API.

What am I missing?

My plugin seems pretty simple to me, but it also seems different from the sorts of things I see people talking about doing with the web client.  Right now, for the desktop client, it monitors field changes, makes notes if certain key fields are changed, and, when the user switches to a different contact, uses those key fields to pull data out of a separate corporate database and into a few custom fields in Act.  I haven't found any way to look for field changes or tell when the user is changing contacts with the web client.

Employee

Re: Act Web (APFW) API Documentation?

Unfortunately there simply isn't much documentation on developing against the web client. In December there was a technical webcast put on by development regarding Act for Web development specifically, it's currently in the employee only section of the forum, I'll see if there's some way it can be made available to you. Within both the 2011 and 2012 SDK downloads, there are documents that specifically address developing against web (\\Sage ACT! 2012 SDK\Content\Code Samples\Customizing Web}.

The things you're doing are simple from a desktop application perspective, however there are no events raised in the browser as they are in the application, so there isn't a FieldChanged event for example. 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

any further word on this?  i have a couple plugins written awhile ago that work with desktop act but not act on the web

Employee

There's no expectation that plug-ins would be transferable from the desktop version to the web version. In the browswer you simply don't have access to much of the functionality found in a desktop application.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

thanks for the reply.

i did find this

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Developer-s-Forum/ACT-Plugin-development-FAQ/m-p/66332/highligh...

and i've put the plugins in the correct folder now.

i'm thinking a restart of the machine may get the plugins to work but i dont want to do that during the work day.

i may also try stopping the web service and restarting it.