Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act.Shared.Images.dll deployment question

Copper Contributor

Act.Shared.Images.dll deployment question

G'day,

I'm developing ACT! 2008 synchronization for Outlook to sync contacts, I managed to reference all dll required that are in GAC.

The issue i concern about is whenever I load a contact i need to have Act.Shared.Images.dll sitting in the same folder

where my application is (otherwise exception is thrown). Since this dll is not in GAC it is at Program Files ACT folder i had to copy this dll manually.

My question is if i include this dll into my installation, is it the best way to go as users may have different version of this dll on their machine?

for example if they have ACT! 2009 installed and I'm trying to use Act.Shared.Images.dll of 2008 version.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Barry

act sync

Copper Contributor

Re: Act.Shared.Images.dll deployment question

Figured out what was the problem:

I developed against 10.0.1 version of ACT! where client machine was on 10.0.3

Looks like 10.0.1 does not have Act.Shared.Images at GAC where 10.0.3 does have.

The only downside is 10.0.3 deletes all previous versions of shared dll's from GAC so any app compiled against earlier version fails.

So whenever Sage guys release a new patch we have to hurry up and recompile Smiley Happy

But what about if i need to support 10.0.1 machines as well?

Nickel Super Contributor

If you build against the earliest version you want to complie to your addon will work with all versions after that.  IE. if you compile against v8 dlls you app should work with v8,9,10,11 etc....

Hope that makes sense Smiley Happy 

Tom

Copper Contributor

That's what I thought initially as ACT! installs all its dll's into GAC it should keep all previous versions of them when new update comes in.

I did simplte test project that just logs in to ACT! and compiled it on machine with 10.0.1 installed, then I copied it to another machine with 10.0.3 installed and it failed to load Act.Framework as it was looking for (10.0.1) version. (I'have Copy Local=false at my reference properties to forece load from GAC) 

Apparently 10.0.3 removed all 10.0.1 dll's from GAC.

That would not be the case if I would just copy all required dll's into my bin folder and deploy them with my installer but I'm not sure it is the way to go as even 10.0.3 has database changes that could probably cause issues for earlier versions.

Ideally would be to tell project references to always look for a newer version in GAC otherwise 

Do I have to deploy ACT! framework dll's I use with my application?

Thanks,

Barry

Copper Contributor

Just compiled against 10.0.1 version and tried on machine with 11.0.1 installed and it worked!

So seems to be an issue with one particular machine with 10.0.3 upgrade.