Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Plug-in not loading

Copper Contributor

Act Plug-in not loading

We recently upgraded from Act! 2012 to 2013.  The plug-in refuses to load on a single machine, though it's configured similarly to others (which are all fine so far) and the plug-in was running before said update.

I have deleted the dependencydlls.xml and log files.  Then I tried wholesale deleting the Act Data folder.  I've logged in as a separate user and tried to get it to run under a separate profile.  I've run Act! as an administrator.  I've tried the logviewer applicaton (only Outlook errors listed that are common to all other systems).  I've glanced through the Event logs.  I've tried rebooting and reinstalling the application.

I am stumped.  Any thoughts?

WIndows 7 Professional

Act Premium 2013

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Act Plug-in not loading

The plugin probably requires a dll that is no longer on the system.  I would run Process Explorer on one of the systems it's working on and then see if I could track down what dll was missing on the system it won't run on.  There are other ways to do it but that is one of the easier ones.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

I've checked all Sage Act dlls and they are all present and accounted for and the same version on the two machines.  I've noted a logview error I missed earlier (or it's new?)

Error Exception: Value was either too large or too small for an Int32.System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int32.
   at System.Convert.ToInt32(Int64 value)
   at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeUpdater()

I deleted the dedendecy file, removed the user plug-in and the above error still appears when re-checking the log file.

Silver Super Contributor

Try deleting the preferences.  I haven't heard of preference settings affecting a plugin but I suppose based on what it is doing it could run into a conflict with a preference setting.  You can remove them using the tools menu in actdiag.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

Initial removal of the preferences.xml file gives the following error (which disappeared on subsequent runs)

Error Message: UINavigationManager::Error Loading from binary file. System.ArgumentException: key was not found.
   at Act.Shared.Windows.Forms.Navigation.NavBarGroupsCollection.get_Item(String key)
   at Act.UI.UINavigationManager.LoadFromBinary()
   at Act.UI.UINavigationManager.InitUI()

The other UI error remains consistent throghout.

Silver Super Contributor

Try renaming the ACT folder under %appdata% and see what happens.  If that doesn't fix it and you wrote the addon add a few Try-Catchs to it and see what is going on.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

I've done that before.  In addition to deleting the folder wholesale.  Still an issue.   I'll look into the try-catch in the future, though it dones't quite explain the selectiveness of this failure (over a dozen other upgrades, only a single problem).

Silver Super Contributor

Without knowing what your plugin does exactly it's a little different to troubleshoot but I suspect what is happening is that it is trying to load a dll and it is finding an older version than the version it is expecting so the plugin fails.  Does your plugin have any non-standard references?  The actlog.xml file may point you toward what is causing the failure.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Silver Super Contributor

I see you've already checked the logs without finding anything.  There are some references on the web to the problem being caused by a bad install of .NET 3.5.  It might be worth uninstalling .NET 3.5 and then rebooting and reinstalling it.  I'm still checking to see if I find something more definitive.  If it was failing on all the systems it would be easier to troubleshoot.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Silver Super Contributor

Looks like you should also probably check to see if you're running SQL 2008 R2 SP1 on this system.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com