Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Essentials - setting a picture on a contact record

Act! Essentials - setting a picture on a contact record

For the Act! Essentials cloud API, I am not seeing a way to add a picture to an Act! contact record.

There is a “UploadedImageUrl” field on the contact record, which if set, is a url to download the contact’s picture from (retrieving the picture works fine).

How do I send the picture binary data to an Act! Essentials contact record?

Thanks

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
Wayland Bruns, CTO
http://www.companionlink.com
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act! Essentials - setting a picture on a contact record

Clcto wrote:
For the Act! Essentials cloud API, I am not seeing a way to add a picture to an Act! contact record.

There is a “UploadedImageUrl” field on the contact record, which if set, is a url to download the contact’s picture from (retrieving the picture works fine).

How do I send the picture binary data to an Act! Essentials contact record?

Thanks

Wayland Bruns, CTO

Hi Wayland,

I'm not aware that you can currently do this, but I have escalated the question to our developers to find out if there's another way or if it's on our roadmap. I'll post again once I have an answer.

Kind regards,

Sam.

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.
Copper Super Contributor

Hi Wayland,

I've spoken with the Act! Cloud development team regarding this and it looks like you can assign an image to a record via the API.

The example they gave me seems to indicate that the image must already be hosted online and that you provide the image URL when making your PUT request. This wasn't 100% clear so I've asked them to give me some clarification as to whether this is correct or whether the image is copied to our servers. I suppose this could be tested by uploading an image and then removing the URL, but I unfortunately don't have access to do this right now.

For now here is the example PUT request they gave. The red parts are where my colleague left his e-mail address visible so just replace it with your own.

The key parts are that uploadImageUrl is set to the image URL, and imageSource is set to upload.

CloudAvatarPUT.png

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Sam.

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.

Sam,

Beautiful!  We'll check it out.

Wayland

Wayland Bruns, CTO

Sam,

This worked great. 

I'm concerned, however, that a picture that is not hosted on the site may introduce problems down the road.  For instance, if a customer puts in pictures from their dropbox, and then 2 years later views the Act! Essentials contact picture, does it reach back to that dropbox?

From my developer:

> I tried setting the “uploadImageUrl” and “imageSource” fields as suggested, and this works.

> Is there a way to upload the image to the Act! server instead of using our own? If I use the browser to set an image for a contact on the Act! website, the “uploadImageUrl” looks something like:

> https://s3.amazonaws.com/RunTime/Permanent/dev/ContactProfile/<random file name>.png

> Is there a way to upload the image to this same server Act! uses, so the image will be permanent and not rely on some third party server that might go down?

Thanks

Wayland Bruns, CTO
Copper Super Contributor

Hi Wayland,

Sorry for a late reply, I have returned from a week of annual leave.

I share your concerns and did raise this with our development team but have not gotten any clarification yet.

Let me chase this and see if there's a way to specify that the image be copied to our servers as it would when using the web interface.

I'll get back to you on this one.

Kind regards,

Sam.

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Wayland,

I've confirmed with our Act! Essentials development team that at this time it is not possible to host an image on our site using the API, this functionality is only available through our interface.

We are looking into how we can make this available (the API for it exists but is private) but I don't have any timescales to share with you at this time.

Kind regards,

Sam.

[ Edited ]

Sam,

Thanks for checking. Since the function exists privately it would seem most expedient just to add an external upload function. 

It would seem the risks of externally hosting the picture, and demanding performance in the app, are very high.

Keep me posted if there is a change here.  I will report if any of our sync customers request this functionality.

Wayland

Wayland Bruns, CTO