Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Accounting Integration - SAGE50

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Accounting Integration - SAGE50

Hello everybody. This is my first post on this forum so please be sympathetic!

Could somebody explain the Architecture behind Accounting Integration.  This is the facility where SAGE50 can 'Push' Account detail (e.g. names, addresses etc.) information and related changes automatically into an ACT database.

How does it work?

Does it need somebody to be logged into the Sage software?

Does it need somebody to be logged into the ACT database?

What if the SQL server instance on the ACT host is stopped?

What if somebody makes a few updates in the Sage Accounting system and nobody uses the related Act database for a while. then, without any user opening the ACT database, a third party piece of software wants to get company or contact data out of ACT.

Will the 3rd party software see the changes or not?

Thanks in anticipation,

Lundy

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lundy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Accounting Integration - SAGE50

Thank you very much Darron, I really appreciate your help and you have fully answered my question.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Could somebody explain the Architecture behind Accounting Integration. This is the facility where SAGE50 can 'Push' Account detail (e.g. names, addresses etc.) information and related changes automatically into an ACT database.

How does it work?

It uses Sdata but it's based on a pull system rather than a push.

Does it need somebody to be logged into the Sage software?

You don't need to be logged in to Accounts but you do need to be logged in to ACT.

Does it need somebody to be logged into the ACT database?

You must be logged in to ACT although you can configure the sync to take place in the background so you can still be using ACT as normal whilst the updates are being processed.

What if the SQL server instance on the ACT host is stopped?

No sync will take place as you could not be logged in to ACT if the SQL server instance isn't running.

What if somebody makes a few updates in the Sage Accounting system and nobody uses the related Act database for a while. then, without any user opening the ACT database, a third party piece of software wants to get company or contact data out of ACT.

Will the 3rd party software see the changes or not?

As with any system that uses sync if no sync cycle has taken place for some time the ACT database could be out of date and in this example it would still contain the old data so this is what the 3rd party application will get back.

Copper Contributor

Darron, thank you very much for the reply.

That helps me to design my 3rd party companion software nicely.

I will now just have to work out how to make the automatic updates run in the background.

Can you tell me how the background runs are achieved?

For example are they simply run as SQL Server Agent jobs, or is the Windows task Scheduler used or what?

The reason I wnat to know is so that I can be sure that whatever it is is always enabled and runnable.

Again, many thanks for your prompt reply.

Lundy

[ Edited ]

The automatic background updates can be enabled/disabled through the accounting integration set-up wizard. On page 4 of the wizard you'll see the 'Automatically update linked data' check box.

The background sync itself is initiated and managed by some bespoke code in ACT but it isn't exposed to the SDK as far as I'm aware.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Lundy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Thank you very much Darron, I really appreciate your help and you have fully answered my question.