Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Accessing attachment files external to the file management

Copper Contributor

Accessing attachment files external to the file management

I currently have a custom sub-entity that I use to attach files to the document tab in companies; this original file name is listed in the sub entity for later retrieval. 

However, in the documents tab, the original file name is listed, but the path shows the Filname followed by a large alphanumeric string (the guid).  How do we retrieve the actual file path (FileNameabc123.file as opposed to FileName.file) via the SDK (apart from actively storing the GUID generated from the CreateHistory function call)?

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Accessing attachment files external to the file management

When ACT! saves a second attachment with the same name it appends the guid to the end of the filename.  So that guid is a part of the filename that is stored in the attachment folder.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Thanks, I'm aware of that.  But I's asking, apart from actively storing the GUID, is there a way to programatically (i.e. via the SDK) retrieve the 'actual' file name rather than just the alias?

Silver Super Contributor

You can get the actual file name from the attachment object on the history.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!