Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Access to the path 'ACT\ACT Data\Preferences' is denied.

Tuned Listener

Access to the path 'ACT\ACT Data\Preferences' is denied.

Hello,

I am trying to create a web application in ASP.Net to get contact information form my sage act database.

I have created a sample web application for it when I run this application while opening from File System it will works well but when I try to run this application via using Local IIS I have got below errors on LogOn method:-

"Access to the path 'ACT\ACT Data\Preferences' is denied."

I have tried to apply below permission to folder with full access :-

Everyone,Iuser,Network Service,IIS_IUSR,DefaultAppPool,ASP.NET 4.0

But it did not works and gives same error.

I have created web application for ACT Sage Pro using ASP.Net 4.0.

So Pelsae suggest how to resolve this issue have also attached a screen shot for it.?

Please help to resolve this issue I have tried almost all of the solution while google search but did not get any solution yet.Untitled.png

Thanks

Nickel Contributor

Re: Access to the path 'ACT\ACT Data\Preferences' is denied.

The screenshot of the error definitely helps.

It looks to me like you are trying to access a remote server from your web application. If that's the case, you're going to have a number of issues if you don't have your accounts and permissions set up properly. If I'm correct that you are trying to access a remote server, you'll need to use an account that has permissions on both machines (such as a domain account). That domain account will have to be set as the account to run this particular web application, as well as having access to the proper locations on the remote machine.

Could you please provide a bit more information about your server setups (where is ACT! located, is it on a different machine than your web server, etc.)? Right now, it's a bit difficult to get a good grasp on your situation. Thanks.

Tuned Listener

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not trying to access a remote machine, I am setting up website on same machine where ACT Sage Pro 2013 is installed.

And my machine is not a server machine I am using windows 7 and using Visual Studio 2010 to create my web application.

So in this case when I try to run my web app through file system in visual studio it runs perfectly and when I try to run it after deploying this application on my Local IIS server and run this application then this error is come.

Here 10.10.10.29 is IP of my local machine on which I have installed act sage and try to run same application after deploying it to my Local IIS server om same machine where act installed.

So I am using Windows 7 having ACT Sage 2013 Pro installed, I have used Visual Studio 2010 to create web app and try to run it om my Local IIS Server 7.5 and getting above mentioned error.

Thanks
Nickel Contributor

It's all making a bit more sense now. I'm not familiar with the particular overloaded Logon method you are using, so I'm not sure how it's getting that "Act\Act Data\Preference" path. Have you tried any of the other logon options, such as one that needs the .PAD file path? The .PAD file is largely the connection settings for an ACT database (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). If you have one of those, it may be easier to deal with the permissions since that is a set file, in a set location.

One other question; Is your computer user account an administrator or are you running Visual Studio as administrator? It could be that the ASP.NET account is trying to access that ACT directly listed (which I'm guessing is in the Program Files folder), and it won't be able to due not having Admin privileges (usually through UAC). It works when running through Visual Studio because those privileges do exist on your user account.

Tuned Listener

Hello,

Thanks for reply.

I have first try with same log on method as discussed using .Pad file path and I have got same error with it.

I have logged on to my system as Admin user and try this all out but same issue comes.

I am having this issue only when I try to deploy it on my Local IIS server to make it run using a web link.

Thanks
Nickel Contributor

I think I may have had an epiphany. Since everything is all on the local machine, the IP address you put in may be your IP for your network, but not the local machine when it communicates with itself. Could you please try this IP address: 127.0.0.1
Tuned Listener

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I have also tried this one out but did not work.

Do you have any resources or references available with respect to this kind of error in sage act in web application.

Thanks
Nickel Contributor

Sorry, but I don't have any references in regards to this. If I did, I would've provided them. I've also run out of any ideas. I've already suggested everything that has come to mind.
Tuned Listener

Ok

Thanks for your reply.
Astute Commentator

Hi

Did you ever get this resolved..?