Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Access to field Leave events.

Copper Contributor

Access to field Leave events.

I want to be able to subscribe to the leave event of a field.

As far as I can see you can only get access to the Changed event:

application.ApplicationState.CurrentContact.Fields.FieldChanged

I don't want to check the field has changed, only that the user has clicked away or tabbed out.

Any ideas?

SS

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Access to field Leave events.

In Define Fields, you can set a Field Trigger and and have a little program to call your app with a parameter for the field
Employee

There isn't an event in the API that monitors whether you have entered/left a field.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

about time there was one thou! would make life easy for numerous reasons that would help developers.

Its pointless that a plugins cant, so your left with having to write a totally separate application that gets fired off to do something

i get asked alot to write things where they want something to happen when they tab out of field X,Y & Z.. and i just cant add it to exisiting plugins created for them.. the marval of computers today and yet Sage over the years after being asked more than once to add such a feature has not yet done so?? 

It would only take a few lines of code since there is already something there that would trigger an external app.. so why not also raise an event??

Silver Super Contributor

I agree.  We have an SDK committee that was formed to try to determine what new features developers would like to see added to the SDK to make it easier to use and to make us developers more productive.  If you have some suggestions feel free to post them (start a new thread) or e-mail me directly.  Now is probably a good time to make suggestions for what we would like to see made available in the next version of ACT!.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

next version?? how about next Service Pack.. its an event.. just two or three lines of code, and its been asked and asked, for many versions and its still not present

A whole committee.. really??.. since there is a whole forum section dedicated to suggestions in 'Share your ideas'.. funny enough even i have asked for this before over a year ago (Events for Field Got & Lost focus).. plus all the other threads/posts within the developer forum itself in the past

i was not even aware there was a committee??

can you tell me as to when this committee was created? whos part of it? and just how much input the committee has influenced the SDK to date v's the Suggestion forum v's comments over the years in the developer section?

it would be great to know if Sage actually values real ideas and would actively add them, since it is the developers and third party addins that really boosts, and uniquly builds, customers core business needs into the application

Silver Super Contributor

next version?? how about next Service Pack.. its an event.. just two or three lines of code, and its been asked and asked, for many versions and its still not present

It's possible that something like that could be included in a service pack if there was enough interest in it.

A whole committee.. really??.. since there is a whole forum section dedicated to suggestions in 'Share your ideas'.. funny enough even i have asked for this before over a year ago (Events for Field Got & Lost focus).. plus all the other threads/posts within the developer forum itself in the past

Yes.  A whole committee.  Someone has to evaluate the various suggestions and determine some sort of priority.  Sage thought it was worth creating a committee to look into.  Personally I think it's a great idea.

i was not even aware there was a committee??

can you tell me as to when this committee was created? whos part of it? and just how much input the committee has influenced the SDK to date v's the Suggestion forum v's comments over the years in the developer section?

The committee was created about a year and a half ago.  There are a few other people on it besides myself.  I'm not sure that who is on the committee is as relevant as the fact that it exists.  The committee hasn't had as much influence as we'd like but Sage is listening and is interested.  Some of our suggestions will take time to implement but all of the suggestions that we have made have been investigated by Sage.  I haven't gone through the developer forum to try and distill all of the suggestions in it it but that's a good idea.

it would be great to know if Sage actually values real ideas and would actively add them, since it is the developers and third party addins that really boosts, and uniquly builds, customers core business needs into the application

Agreed.  I think the existence of the committee is an indication of the fact that they value the ideas of 3rd party developers.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

my last thought on this matter is to just poke the bear just a littleSmiley Happy (sage are you really listening?)

it has been a number of years and versions, and yet the bug that stumps all new comers is still prevalent and has never been seen to (maybe 2012 has been fixed i have not checked yet) but is a great way to show how a simple problem was never addressed or fixed, and yet it is one of the most posted questions

"when ACT first loads my plugin never raises the field changed"

the fix was that "WE" had to refresh the first contact when ACT loaded so that this event would fire..

Seems that Sage, as from this developers stand, did not value fixing this problem (and again - maybe now they have) and yet we have a suggestion forum, a committee, and too many threads/posts to count, and this one idea (bug) was never sorted in all that time.

Kinda seems redundant, that since Sage has the last say anyway, that we need a committee to put forward ideas that already get put forward within this section or the suggestion section.. whos to say that one persons idea which they put forward, is something that the "committee" thinks is not worth while, because these people might not have had anyone they write for ask for something similar, yet many others might think is a great idea.. not everyone goes to the suggestion forum and kudos ideas

It's possible that something like that could be included in a service pack if there was enough interest in it.

who needs enough interest?? using my example above, currently we all just "work around it" since there is no other way.. but the fact that its been talked about numerous times over a year, there must be interest..

back to the got/lost focus problem at hand - anything is possible, and since there is already code in place that checks to see if there is a trigger string setup for field got/lost focus, then one more line of code after that calling RaiseEvent LostFocus/GotFocus(FieldID) would not bring a complete re-write to the code source

I'm not sure that who is on the committee is as relevant as the fact that it exists

well theres a fail for the committee already.. must be some top secret society that only works for themselves to get their ideas added and no one elses..

why its relevant?? you asked that 'we' email you with ideas.. what if we wanted to discuss ideas with others who are on the committee, these few others might answer a question for someone, and knowing they are on the secret society would have a good understanding and view point on the current topic, and take said ideas to Sage.. 

so yeah its relevant, because if no one knows there is even a committee, or even knows whos on the committee, then obviously the committee only looks out for ideas that they think are worth anything. If no one knows who they are and can not discuss ideas with them renders the committee basically useless

so next your gonna ask me, so what should happen then instead of a committee.. im glad you asked that...

the 'Share Your Ideas' section should be taken seriously by Sage as ideas from both developers and end users can enter in their own ideas.. Kudos is only a small way of knowing how others think of the idea, but we all know its not 100% as others reading the ideas, usually only reading ideas that catch their eye were a word they see might be something they too are thinking about.. and if it is something that they are not interested in then they would not read it nor kudos it.. plus not every user or developer even comes to these forums..

Then Sage has to be more pro active in there not only discussing the idea, which would then make the section more interesting, and more interesting means that more users would use it and read it to see whats going on and even add to it.. but they would also need to write answering it, something one the lines of something similar would be added, or that the idea is too unique and would not be added to the app or great idea we are putting that in now.. some might not like hearing that something they think should be added wont be.. but at least they get to discuss it, rather than sit around waiting for 2013 to be released only find that its not been added, or bugs are not going to be addressed

Employee

First and foremost, we do very much value the input of our development community and feature requests and suggestions are not only welcomed, but encouraged. If you have any idea post them here, create a thread in share your ideas or contact me directly and I can pass them along.

I know the field changed event for the first contact has been a major sticking point for most people who are just getting started using the SDK, it was actually an issue that we investigated thoroughly prior to this release. I wasn't involved the in change myself, but to my understanding there were several issues that cropped up downstream when we allowed the event to fire for the first contact, so from you perspetive I wholly understand why it may appear that it's been ignored, but I assure you that is not the case. 

The share your ideas section is monitored by product management, and features from there do get incorporated into the product. I agree however that kudos probably don't represent the importance of an issue accurately. Specifically for feature requests for the SDK since only a small number of people may even understand the request and thus it'll receive fewer up votes.

I really appreaciate this feedback.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Silver Super Contributor

As Matthew has said Sage has looked into that one.  It shouldn't surprise you that we actually have discussed that in our meetings along with the fact that the contact changes 3 or 4 times when ACT! starts up as well as a few others.  We discussed fixing that one too but the problem was that a lot of addon developers (not just the ones on the committee) had coded around it so we were concerned that if we lowered the number of changes to 1 that it would break quite a few addons.  The problem is that what appears to be an insignificant change can have repercussions that affect a number of other processes.

Actually the committee has put forward quite a few ideas that I haven't seen mentioned in the developer forum or the suggestion forum that would benefit most if not all addon developers.  One example is a data folder for addons that syncs.  There have been quite a few others.  It occurs to me (probably should have occurred sooner) that it would be a good idea to publish the things that we have suggested and the result of the discussions to the community at large.  I will look into that.

One of the problems with posting a request is that Sage has no idea how popular the request is.  Granted if all the addon developers were to read the suggestions of other addon developers and rate them then we might end up with a prioritized list of requests.  The needs of a new developer are different than the needs of an experienced developer though and that needs to be taken into account too.  I am a firm believer that there is no one best method of getting things done.  Having both a forum for suggestions and a committee for recommendations in my opinion is a good idea.  When you have a bunch of developers sitting around a table discussing an issue you learn a lot of things that you don't learn from forum posts.  For example not all developers want to make public requests for features because those requests can be an indication of what sort of projects they are working on.

When deciding what changes to make to ACT! there is always a time and resource consideration.  There is less time and fewer resources dedicated to service packs than to product releases so more feature requests can be implemented in a product release.

The committee isn't a secret.  It was formed by the BPAC and the formation of the committee is probably in the minutes of one of the meetings.  I haven't listed the other committee members out of respect for their privacy not out of some desire to keep it a secret.  I have very thick skin and while it bothers me to be publicly insulted ("must be some top secret society that only works for themselves to get their ideas added and no one elses") it probably doesn't bother me as much as it would some other people.  Some of the other committee members may or may not jump in when they read this thread.

We haven't really had that many committee meetings but I would like to see us have more regular committee meetings.  We have discussed having more regular meetings it in the past but we're all busy and as you've mentioned there are other forums available for suggestions.  The fact that I asked you (and implicitly other developers reading this post) for suggestions for enhancement to the SDK sort of begs the question of why I would do that if I was only interested in those enhancements which would benefit me or why I would have bothered to mention the committee in the first place.

As Matthew pointed out Sage does take the forums and comments and suggestions very seriously.  Sage could probably engage more in discussions on the feature requests in the forums.  Even though they do discuss the feature requests quite a bit internally it isn't obvious in the forums that they have looked into them.

My reason for mentioning the committee in response to the original post was a sincere attempt to provide you and other developers reading the post another avenue for suggestions on enhancing ACT! to make developing addons easier.  The offer to you and any other developers reading this post is still on the table.  If you have recommendations feel free to e-mail me or call me with them and I will present them at our next committee meeting.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com